Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Morphed

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper

Denrep

Interesting, that's for sure...

I guess there are a few lessons to learn from this episode:
  • Miles aren't everything.
  • The hood should be closed when a new car must be parked outside for a few years.
  • AC isn't worth retrofitting if it's not going to be used.
  • When storing-away a new 1978 GM car as an investment, start with a black Trans-Am.

For future reference, the link used to describe:
Eldorado 1978 Cadillac Eldorado 136 ORIGINAL MILES   
Eldorado 1977 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 315 ORIGINAL MILES

...When I started to gain on that Cadillac!

ST Dog

I don't get the engine condition. For such low mile cars, why would the intake, valve covers, etc. be so rusted?

I know the OEM paint wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad. I've got a few 1000 on mine since I painted them and they still look freshly painted (if I clean the dust off).

ST Dog

Quote from: Denrep on May 24, 2011, 11:47:37 AM
For future reference, the link used to describe:
Eldorado 1978 Cadillac Eldorado 136 ORIGINAL MILES

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/170642617813

QuoteEldorado 1977 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 315 ORIGINAL MILES

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/170642639938

Denrep

Quote from: ST Dog on May 24, 2011, 11:57:17 AM
I don't get the engine condition. For such low mile cars, why would the intake, valve covers, etc. be so rusted?

I know the OEM paint wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad. I've got a few 1000 on mine since I painted them and they still look freshly painted (if I clean the dust off).

Remember the '70s Eldos we looked at before?
Something like 75K and 40K on well-used rust belt cars, yet the engine compartments looked like factory shop manual examples.

Here, the white car's pics show the most boiler room detail, and to me, there we can see lots of detail changes from OE and the "Pontiac blue" paint, a mismatch with the transmission's paint, complete with over-spray on the balancer... Does make a Misfit wonder. :chin:

----------
ST - I just meant that one of these days the links will go dead and any future  reader will  :scratchhead: what this was all about.

Carfreak

Early 1980s lived in S TX, remember admiring a beautiful triple-white 77 Biarritz with 'only' 5k miles. 

The owner, a dealer, drove it back & forth from IL every year. 

Two years later it still had 'only' 5k miles.

Amazing!
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Denrep

Quote from: CarFreak on May 24, 2011, 12:13:48 PM
Early 1980s lived in S TX, remember admiring a beautiful triple-white 77 Biarritz with 'only' 5k miles. 

The owner, a dealer, drove it back & forth from IL every year. 

Two years later it still had 'only' 5k miles.

Amazing!

Ueah boy, do we dare say it?

Ueahg, Misfits dare say anything.

Okay then.

Wasn't that about the time the low-mileage Cadillac shuffle blew-up?  :scratchhead:

DownUnderDeville

IF it really only has 300 miles on it, I'd be real paranoid about driving it any distance. Might still have 1977-78 oil and water in it :yikes:

FTR, I think it's more like 100,300, that's still only around 3000/yr. Keep it spit-shiny and it'll still look like that.

Fins

Anyone that thinks these are 300+ mile cars, knows absolutely nothing about cars. I go along with DuD here.

But then as the saying goes.....There's an ass for every seat.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Carfreak

I doubt that either car has only 3-digits on the odometer.   But I doubt even more that they have turned over 100k.  Trust me, its a very simple task to reach behind the speedometer and disconnect the cable.   Then no need to play with the odometer though it can be done.*

As far as the fluids go, at least one auction indicated new belts, hoses, etc.  as evidenced by the aftermarket hose clamps.  

Heck, H/O has (I forget) 80k(?) miles and still running original belts & hoses.  Valve covers with original paint have a little dirt but otherwise look darned good.  Water pump was painted when it was replaced in late 80s.  Dumped the Calf smog crap then too.  Forget which decade the fuel pump was changed.  

Fluids have been changed.  Many times.

* Don't even try to think of any funny business.  
 Dad owned a speedo repair shop and I was trained @ GM Tech Center @ the ripe old age of 17.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

guidematic

I have no doubt that these cars are misrepresented. Do I see mismatched paint on the fillers (Although that copuld be original) along with what appears to be a fog in on the front of the hood of the grey car?

The engine compartment on my '94 Fleetwood looks new compared to those, and it has 212,000km on it.

Mike

EXCRUISERGUY

Quote from: Big Fins on May 24, 2011, 08:05:57 PM

But then as the saying goes.....There's an ass for every seat.

You have a saying for everything don't you?

GJ

Fins

Quote from: EXCRUISERGUY on May 25, 2011, 01:09:48 PM
You have a saying for everything don't you?

GJ

Not really. But I can make a few up if you like !!!   :Muttley:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

EXCRUISERGUY

Nothing can surprise me........... but you can try. :pot:

GJ