On the topic of subtle paint jobs.....

Previous topic - Next topic

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

DownUnderDeville

Fins

Age must be catching up to you DuD.   :yes:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

DownUnderDeville

Gotta grow old disgracefully, isn't that how it goes? :Muttley:

Fins

Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

trvlr480

Brown isn't so bad.  It all depends on the car that it is applied to.  That one doesn't look too bad because of the car it is on.  Besides, it's Beige with brown accents.  However, I wouldn't call THAT a subtle paint job but for the year of the vehicle, the fact that it's a Cadillac and the age it fits.

There are rich, classy metallic browns and then there are the "babyshit" browns which are clearly appalling when applied to ANYTHING except maybe a 1962 Volkswagon Bug.  Browns are one of the most difficult to match because they have just about every single color mixed into them.  I used to hate the color for that alone.

Tailfin Joe

I just can't get into a brown car, on the Eldo it does fit , and I think as time goes on they will become a future collectable, (20) years how do they run with the 425 ? vs. the 500 ci cars.
1970 Coupe Devile

DownUnderDeville

Quote from: Tailfin Joe on August 02, 2011, 10:56:29 AM
  I just can't get into a brown car, on the Eldo it does fit , and I think as time goes on they will become a future collectable, (20) years how do they run with the 425 ? vs. the 500 ci cars.

Don't know how they compare 425 vs. 500, but FWD must make them interesting around corners........

EXCRUISERGUY

I've seen a couple of 78 Biarritz's just like that one that were mint.
I think they are gorgeous. Even if they are brown.

GJ

Fins

There is a '78 in Black with Red button tuck pillow top leather, just about 3 miles from me. The guy wanted $12K for it. It was listed in the S/S last month, and I came to within inches of buying it.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

ST Dog

Quote from: Tailfin Joe on August 02, 2011, 10:56:29 AM
how do they run with the 425 ? vs. the 500 ci cars.

Anemic. With some mods a 425 can be respectable though.
#1 get rid of the restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds so it can breathe.

Tailfin Joe

what manifolds would you replace it with??
1970 Coupe Devile

Carfreak

Quote from: ST Dog on August 02, 2011, 06:28:23 PM

Anemic. With some mods a 425 can be respectable though.

Our $200 78 Eldo's 425 was pretty decent. 
Made it through 9 winters before a mouse chewed through the main wiring harness during summer storage   >:(

Granted, it wasn't a 472 or 500 but still:

Pulled many cars, trucks out of ditches. 
Used weekly to transport garbage cans to the curb (on the hood, of course)
Great help when taking down trees
Rubber fillers didn't even crack when we pushed a 100 yr old building across a cement slab

Drove nice too; like a Cadillac - a/c and alc worked great.    :)
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

ST Dog

Quote from: CarFreak on August 06, 2011, 10:44:21 PM
Our $200 78 Eldo's 425 was pretty decent. 
Granted, it wasn't a 472 or 500 but still:

They specifically asked for a comparison to a 500.