News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

WANTED: Front Engine Cover For A 429 Cadillac

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Over on the '65-'66 Cadillac board we are discussing the weak link of our engines..............the aluminum front cover that as you know is part of the oil pump.
When it gets worn the oil pressure falls.  The bad news is that Cadillac made changes in the cover EVERY YEAR from '64 - '67!!!!  :doh:  So you can't just find another front cover you have to find the SAME YEAR front cover as your engine which makes it even harder to find.

So first, I need a front cover in good condition for a 1966 cadillac 429 engine for myself.

Second, we have a guy in our group that would like to find front covers for 64-67 that are NOT in good shape so he can look at the differences
and also try to come up with a way to repair the covers to help people in the future.  Obviously the price on these covers need to reflect their
condition as a non useable part.  Last time I checked none of us are millionaires so money is tight.  :yes:

Please contact me if you can help.  ezrider800@catt.com

Thanks!

"EZ"

Fins

Would it be possible to 'sleeve' the oil pump gear housing? This seems to be the only part that is detrimental to the use of these engines. Otherwise, I don't really hear of any major problems with them.

I know we're talking tens of thousandths of an inch. How about slightly oversized gears?

There has to be away around this problem.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Russ

Donr forget the 63. They have the same timing cover. I'll shoot you an email about a bad 64 timing cover.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Tailfin Joe

Is there any aftermarket suplliers that MIGHT have a timing cover or  build one that would cure the problem??  ???, maybe a group buy ?
1970 Coupe Devile

EXCRUISERGUY

Rockauto  has a timing cover repair sleeve.
Is this what your talking about?

EZ

Quote from: EXCRUISERGUY on December 10, 2012, 08:24:33 PM
Rockauto  has a timing cover repair sleeve.
Is this what your talking about?

I don't know.  I've never seen that before!!  I'll ask him .........

Thanks!

EZ

Quote from: Fins on December 09, 2012, 10:08:21 PM
Would it be possible to 'sleeve' the oil pump gear housing? This seems to be the only part that is detrimental to the use of these engines. Otherwise, I don't really hear of any major problems with them.

Some of them have coolant that flows through them so they get corrosion holes in the casting.  Some get busted when people over tighten the bolts during a water pump change.  There are several issues but the problem is there are very few left because most people throw the engine away and the front cover goes with it!

EZ

Quote from: pyro on December 10, 2012, 03:35:11 AM
Donr forget the 63. They have the same timing cover. I'll shoot you an email about a bad 64 timing cover.

Let me know what you have............thanks.