News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Get in the game

Previous topic - Next topic

trvlr480

There is only one way to tell if it's worth the money and that is to see and drive it in person.  I would think it's probably worth the 5 grand if it's been reasonably well cared for.  With gas prices going through the roof again there are some real good deals on the old "gas guzzlers" from time to time.  Not everyone is asking premium prices for grandpa's old Caddy because they just want to get rid of it.  Furthermore, very few people in this country know anything at all about the old Caddy's with the exception of us Misfits.

Fins

#1...The guy has no clue about the engine. It's a 500, in a '70.

#2...It's all black. Even I admit that it looks good like that.

And for 5 large, that could be a good car for not a big outlay.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

And it has the hard to find blue stripe tires.  :yes:

But yes, this could make for a nice driver/casual show car. The '70 Eldo is certainly one of the high points in Cadillac history. The one and only year for the high compression 500. 550 lb/ft torque.  :whoo-hoo:

Mike

Jon

I'm sure I could still find a little blue on my tires....

No chance that you could be a bit biased for 1970 is there Mike :icon_OO:?

guidematic

Tailfin Joe

I agree that the 70 Eldo. is the banker's hot rod , but my choice is still the 68 Eldo. if I was to add one to the fleet.
1970 Coupe Devile

guidematic

I agree. The '68 has it all. Except for maybe the 500, but that can be fixed easy enough.

Mike

trvlr480

What is the big difference between the 68 and the 70 Eldo's that makes the '68 better?

guidematic

I prefer the park lights on the ends of the fenders over the metal plugs on the '67's. Also, 1968 was the first year for the 472, and the final year for the hidden headlamps.

There were other mechanical refinements to the '68's like a slightly softer suspension, better disc brakes, and revisions to the wheel bearings.

The '69 got the new standard Cadillac dash, exposed headlamps and disc brakes became standard, amoung other refinements. The '70 had further cosmetic and minor mechanical refinements, but the big news was the 500 cubic inch V-8.

For me the perfect Eldo would be the '68 with the 500.

Mike

Fins

For me, the perfect Eldorado would be a '76, triple white, any color trim, IE; red, blue, even green if I had to. Under 40K, that assures it was at least driven. And sitting in my garage.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

trvlr480

I do like the hidden headlights on the '68. But for me I have to think the '70 Eldo would be king because of that 500 with high compression even though the 472 is no slouch. I've always been a fan of the 71-72 Eldo's but since I've been on this forum I have really begun to like the '70 although the '68 is mighty nice.  Personally, I think 1970 is when American car companies hit their peak and after that it was one long, slow, downhill slide with the exception of very few such as the very early '70's Trans Ams and a few others.  The smog regulations killed them all and the fuel mileage requirements will kill off the rest.

The '76 Eldo Finn's likes only has about 200 hp if I remember correctly.  It may be a nice looking and nice riding car but I like real power when I hit the gas.  My '73 is too gutless for me on hot days at high elevations.  At sea level on a cold day it's almost good enough.  When I want to accelerate I want to accelerate.  It's just that simple.  The smoggers they built from the mid 70's on up into the 80's are an absolute joke when it comes to power.  Worse than that they sound like a freaking vacuum cleaner under power.  A vacuum cleaner that is worn out I might add.  I can't imagine owning something that weighs 5000 lbs with a 500 ci engine with roughly 200 hp.

Tailfin Joe

I like the 67 eldo's  my second choice would be a 79 or 80 , I had a 79 for a daily driver and really liked it, I bought a 76 Eldo convertible to sell,  but it just felt too big and massive , but a very nice highway car with the top down.
1970 Coupe Devile

Russ

Concerning the low compression 500cid motors; Is it the heads, or the pistons that are different, vs. the high compressin 500 cid.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

guidematic

There's basically 3 generations of the 472/500. The 68-70, 71-73 and 74-76.

The 68-70 were the high compression engines. the 71-73 had large releifs in the pistions and small combustion chambers, but it was those releifs, shaped like a soap dish, that dropped the compression to 8.5:1. The big thing for '73 was the introduction of EGR. That really cut power down significantly.

The 74-76 had flat top pistons and larger combustion chambers. the compression remained about the same. But the 75-76 500 was no slouch. The power levels are somewhat misleading. It's the torque you have to look at which is still a mighty 360 lb ft. I had a 75 CDV that, when I got it tuned properly, would run surprisingly strong. I could smoke the tires at will. I could dust off a lot of so called performance cars with it, much to the amazement of the driver. It wasn't as responsive as the 472 in my '70, it built steam a little more gradually, but when the power came on, it was certainly there.

Mike