News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

An Ocker among the Yanks.........

Previous topic - Next topic

Fins

Damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     By the description, I'd love to have that car. It would pay for itself with a few nights at the track, and some deep pocket people.

Ueah I know. 273, 318, 360, 400, they were all the same block and basic heads. But there was something about the 360/400 that just didn't hold up. Maybe the nickle in the block had a low content. They were weak, anemic, low compression pigs. Get it overly warm one time, and the engine was toast. Burned to a crisp. Junk, boat anchor.

That's the best way I know how to describe them.   :yes:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

DownUnderDeville

And 30K USD ask is every bit as nuts to me as the Cadillac prices down here are to you.

I'd sooner have an E49 Charger for that kind of money.

Russ

Thats a car worthy of barrett Jackson.  It would bring in top dollar
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

guidematic

That is a cool car, a pretty fancy Valiant.

But I too would not have modified the engine. A 360, like Fins said, is a pig. This engine just has a lot of lipstick on it. A better choice would have been a 340, however they also have a reputation of beingh a pig on gas. But at least they had the performamce. Leave all that turbo stuff off it too.

BTW, the 273/318/340/360 belong to the LA family. The 350/361/383/400 are part of the B family and the 423/426/440 are the RB family. The 360 and 400 were from differant engine families.

Granted the 400 is also a bit of a pig as well. It's a stroked version of the 383 that was primarily an emissions engine.

Mike

Fins

IIRC the 400 was considered a small block, with 14mm heads. I don't remember ever putting 18mm plugs in a 400, but as usual, I could be wrong.....................................again.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

The distributor location is the big giveaway. The LA blocks have them at the rear, the B, RB blocks are at the front. A simple casting change can allow for differant plugs. Look at the SBC. They staretd out with the big R44 plugs, then in the late 60's, early 70's they went with the smaller taper seat plugs.

Mike

Fins

Now you're asking me to dig into a memory that has long faded. Those weren't the best years for my memory.   :smoke:
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

guidematic

classic cruiser

The 400 Chrysler was absolutely a B engine
coffee fueled-beer cooled

ST Dog

Quote from: DownUnderDeville on October 21, 2011, 08:19:33 AM
And 30K USD ask is every bit as nuts to me as the Cadillac prices down here are to you.

Only 1 bid so relisted at $26k and got no bids.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220881935689

Fins

Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631