News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

58 heads

Previous topic - Next topic

31modelo

looking for a pair of 58 heads. I have a couple of nice sets of 390's or cash if you'd like. Thanks

Carfreak

1958 through 1963 heads are the same. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Fins

Is that $79.50, the cost of the head at the time of your printing? How old is that book?  :confused2:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Carfreak

Fins

Okay. So just a few years ago.   :rotfl:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Says something for inflation, right?

Mike

Denrep

I'll bet that's a typo in the parts book.  :read:
Maybe trough '62? :scratchhead:

I'd think '63 with the larger radius on the corners would be a different casting and so the '58 covers wouldn't match.

Good Luck

...When I started to gain on that Cadillac!

Carfreak

Almost 10 years later, the 1975 Master Parts Book is showing the same 1958-63 listing.   :scratchhead:

guidematic

It was the block that was greatly changed in '63. Plus the aluminum front cover and the front mounted distributor. In my perusal of the parts book I have found many components that are the same between the '62 and '63 390's.

Mike

Denrep

Maybe they threw in a free '63 cover with any '58-'62 cylinder-head purchase?  :chin:
Or maybe a '58-62 cover with any '63 head purchase?
Or possibly that was a service casting that was modified to accept both early and late covers?  :scratchhead:

But  I don't see how a '63-up cover would mate to an OE  '62-down head.

What does '62 parts book say about '58 - '62 heads? :read:
The '58-'63 head  seems like a big jump in sequential numbering. 

Good Luck
...When I started to gain on that Cadillac!

Russ

I have some 63 heads, and those timing covers are for 63 & 64 only.  If you want the valve covers to, we can talk.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

guidematic

The timing covers don't extend to '67?

Mike

Fins

AFAIK those covers were for the 390 style heads. The 429's were different.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

31modelo

Looking for 58 heads due to a smaller combustion chamber than the later 390 (59-63). Still looking

Carfreak

Is there a specific casting number?

A friend has several heads I could check for you.