News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

I need a dipstick for a 1977, 425 c.i., no tube.

Previous topic - Next topic

mario

as stated:
i am looking for a 425 deville dipstick (1977,) no tube, just the stick.
thanks,
mario

I posted this on mobo with a request for a part number. 33 views and nobody cracked open one of their musty parts book to reply. I've seen many obscure parts numbers looked up for posters over there.
I feel neglected and unloved - over there.

Any ideas???

Otto Skorzeny

I tried to find a parts list here:  http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990334158924.cgi?categoryid=9990334158924

but they don't have any for Cadillac.  They have several for Oldsmobile but nothing newer than 1975.

The Old Car Manual Project was dry, too.

What about asking on the Modified board?  They might be a little more helpful.

Pope's '41 Cad is really a '77 DeVille.  Maybe he can give you the measurements:  length of tube from block, tip to top of tube/cap, tip to add line, tip to full line .  You could adapt a generic one or make one.

Jon

I'll check tomorrow if I can dig up the number for you.

mario

Otto:
Already on modified. CF said she is looking in her stock. That is why the part number would be a big help. The stick measurements are important as the mid sump pan is not on yet but I'll take the tube measurements also. I have an Eldo pan on the car now and will be replacing it with the mid sump do to it being more shallow.
I'll shoot him an email tomorrow an ask him.

Jon:
I appreciate you taking the time to help.
Ciao,
Mario

Jon

For 77 I find the following:
1. all 425 use the same tube
2. Deville, Fleetwood Brougham, Fleetwood Limousine, Sedan, and Commercial Chassis (C,D,Z) use the same dipstick (01609564)
3. Eldorado and Seville each have their own unique dipsticks

mario

jon:
thank you for the assistance. can you check the part number for the 1976 deville. maybe they used the same stick for the front sump pan??? if so, then i could expand my range of years to search.
thank you so much.
ciao,
mario

Otto Skorzeny

mario

yes it was, but it still had a 4 quart pan. granted it was a front sump and the tube was in the front hole, and the 425 and the eldos were in the rear hole, but after looking at all the different pans. they all bolt up to all the different blocks and i am wondering if the engineers had the oil level at the same fill height in all the different pans. the only difference being the quantity of oil used (eldo -5 qts. all else 4 qts.) :confused2: :confused2: :confused2:
ciao,
mario

and i really appreciate all the feedback. you never know what pearls of wisdom you can find on this board.

Jon

Fins

Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

mario

thanks guys:

fins:
your 500 is an eldo not a deville.

denrep:
thanks. i think that the 80 was a 368, might be a whole different animal, although the pan should bolt up to a 500 block.
the eldo stick i have measures from the TOP of the bell to the full mark -19 5/8" to the add mark - 20 7/8.
it is 24" overall, end to end.
still looking. i will ask pope for s measurement as otto said his 41 is all 1977. hopefully he will take the time to answer. i know he is building a monster garage now.

thanks all.
ciao,
mario

Otto Skorzeny

What's the story on this dipstick search?  Why do you need one  and how soon do you need it?

I've got to go see Bill soon so if he hasn't gotten the info for you, I'll measure the stick.

mario

otto:
the story is when i changed the wheels on my 49 fastback the profile of the tire lowered the car an additional inch. when i air down the car, the eldo pan hits the ground.
i know, don't air the car down and i wont hit. that is fine till i get a flat, then all hell will break loose.
rather than cutting the eldo pan an inch, i am changing the rear sump pan for a mid sump pan (1977 425.)
i am going to leave the tube in place as it is in the rear hole on the block, same as the 425 is. but i did not want to remark the eldo stick. it says 5 qts. on it. that is why i want the correct stick for this pan. the yard i got this pan from did not have the dipstick with it, only the correct oil pickup tube.
i would not want to bother bill as he is in the middle of construction, so i can live with this stick until i find a correct one. or with the measurements i am going to attach, i can make one from a universal one, like moroso. i did that for my 56 gmc with the eldo rear sump pan.
so i can wait until you could be so kind to send these measurements.
i believe with these measurements i can make the stick read properly.
with the pan on my bench, leveled, 4 qts. (full) is 4 1/2 inches down from the top of the pan rails. 3 qts. (add) is 5 1/2 inches below the pan rails. all i need to do is place the stick in the tube to confirm the proper placement. i might have to bend the bottom of the tube slightly to align the marks or even cut the top of the tube to lower the stick in the tube.
sorry for the long story, but you asked.
again thanks for everybody's help.
ciao,
mario

Otto Skorzeny

No problem.  I like long stories.  All of this stuff is interesting and educational.

He drives the 41 as a daily driver so chances are, when I see him to return his tile saw, I pull a quick dipstick recon mission.

Carfreak

Yeah, checked our 70s era dipsticks and we don't have what you need. 

Got an Eldo stick though. 

Sorry, couldn't help you.  Did you try Cadillac Tim? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.