News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

96 B-Body parts

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

I'm parting out Rocky (96 Roadmaster Wagon).
It has donated a few parts to Peach and a few other local rides that were in need of help.
Let me know if you need anything and I'll put in on the pile of things to ship to people. 

Otto Skorzeny

What did the Peach need? Or did you just keep some things to hold in reserve?

Jon

Headliner, battery tray, battery, driver's seat belt trim, Rear load floor handle, and power antenna were the main things (still had the Homer-Simpson crooked antenna it had when you saw it).
Then a bunch of stuff for spares.

Jon

Oh yeah, and Peach had become mute and needed a set of horns.

Otto Skorzeny

The free car job came along at the right time. Looks like Peach went from 95% perfect to 99.9% perfect.

How many miles on it now?

That's the previous owner. We met him at the junkyard. I drove him home while Jon stripped a couple Cadillacs.

Otto Skorzeny

All ready for the drive to Canada!

Jon

Peach has ~180 000 on it now. 
I think it was around 140 000 when I bought it.

Interesting fact: it was when we were in that parking lot buying the car that I got the call saying I got the job as a Contract position at GM Canada.

Jon

Since I knew I was getting rid of the car, I didn't top up the fuel at the end and it was running on fumes when I parked it in my driveway with the nose pointing uphill.
So about half way through the part removal I decided it would be better for the car to be turned around with the rear end pointing uphill as I removed the rear bumper and tailgate.  So around she went and ran fine.  I then proceeded to remove all the rear end components I wanted/sold.
I got a call today from someone who wants the car for the engine/transmission as long as it runs.  So before he comes to get it in a couple days I decided I'd go out and recharge the battery and fire it up before he came.  But NO START.  It turned and turned but no fire. I knew it was low and figured with the rear end up in the air the fuel was now sloshed away from the fuel pump so off I went and picked up 10L of fuel.  I added that to the tank but still NO START.   :banghead:
I listened and didn't hear the fuel pump come on.    :scratchhead:  I was very doubtful that the fuel pump would have spontaneously died right now. Especially since I had been messing with a whole bunch of components.
I dug through all the wiring diagrams for the fuel pump and found that the fuel pump wiring is routed through connector C400 on the wagons.  I looked up connector C400 and found that this was the LH tail light wiring connector which happened to be the connector I disconnected in order to remove the Trailer Wiring Harness.  So I reconnected the tail light connector and BINGO, she fired right up.   :music2:

Fins

That is so weird that they would route something like this through a lighting harness. But maybe that provided the ground for the circuit.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Jon

Yeah, another odd wiring design feature is the cruise control is grounded through the CHMSL which is on the rear glass. So if you are hauling something with the tailgate down the cruise won't work.

Otto Skorzeny

New cars are too complicated for their own good.

Maria's Honda's electric door locks stopped unlocking. They would automatically lock if you pushed the button inside but they wouldn't work with the key fob. They wouldn't unlock at all from the fob or the door button.

Along with this problem, the panic button on the fob wouldn't work and some dash display functions like the trip odometer stopped working.

As it turned out, there are two fuses in two different fuse boxes  for the door locks. One circuit locks the doors and another circuit unlocks the doors. Who ever heard of a single electric circuit for lock and a separate electric circuit for unlock?

Also the unlock circuit also controls the panic alarm and random dash display functions.  Nothing is intuitive with cars anymore.

Jon

The car was picked up and hauled off today.
It's going to be a donor powertrain for a guy with a 93 that has a blown motor.  He's aware of the differences between the LO5 and LT1 and has had plenty of experience with making "resto mods" so he's not worried about the swap.

Otto Skorzeny

That's awesome. How much did you get for it?

Jon

I grabbed for myself:
Front bumper, Rear bumper, both fenders, Rear tailgate, Rear glass, Rear wiper motor, blower resistor module, wiper pulse board, horns, battery, battery tray, Washer nozzles, Headliner, driver's seat belt trim, Rear load floor handle, tires and rims, grill, stainless trim, headlights, cornering lamps, Hitch, trailer wiring, Rear view mirror, visors.
The rest I sold for $500.

Not bad since I paid $1500 5 years and 70k ago.

Otto Skorzeny

That's pretty good. Five years of use for $1000.

The new guy got a deal too and will probably get $100 for the shell at the scrapper after he gets the engine and tranny out.