News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

I Have a Fever! And the Only Cure is NOT More Cowbell!

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

Should I buy this truck?  Whoever painted it was an idiot but...

I've always loved these. Fly to Cali and drive it home?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Jeep-Jeepster/264995310579?hash=item3db2f38bf3:g:lnYAAOSweAlf7MVy

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

I know!

I passed up a beautiful, fully restored orange one about  15 years ago for sale in Oregon. It had a black convertible top and beautiful plaid upholstery. It was $14,000 then.

In any event, I would fly out there and drive the 2500+ miles home. I don't know anything about the AMC Dauntless V6 or what kind of automatic transmission they use or thier overall reliability, 4 wd, etc.

I'd stop in Santa Rosa 60 miles away at my friend's newly rebuilt home and do whatever basic stuff it needed for a 2500 mile journey. I figure if Jon can do a 1000 mile journey to Canada in a 22 year old car, I ought to be able to do a 2500 mile journey in a 52 year old car, right?!

That's weird. A car from the 60s doesn't really seem like an "old" car to me. I guess because they're pretty modern by that era.

Denrep, you know everything about every engine/trans ever made. What's the deal with AMC stuff of this era?

Otto Skorzeny

Otto Skorzeny

Otto Skorzeny

Why "shaker" ? Is it known for being not so smooth?

Funny. I just looked up info on the engine and it said that Kaiser-Jeep put a heavier flywheel on it to dampen vibration!

Hahaha! What's funnier is that GM sold it to Kaiser-Jeep thinking nobody needed a V6 in the muscle car era. A few years later during the energy crisis they had to buy back their own design form AMC!

Gotta hand it to the General.  Money can buy a lot of things except common sense.

classic cruiser

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 17, 2021, 03:25:41 AM
Why "shaker" ? Is it known for being not so smooth?

The firing order on the Buick V6 was not every 90 degrees.
coffee fueled-beer cooled

Otto Skorzeny

Yes, I've been reading up on that. Similar to Harley Davidson.

It's really funny.

Kaiser Jeep started using the V6 under license in 1965. In 1967 GM says everybody wants muscle cars and big engines. Nobody even knows what a V6 is so they sell all the manufacturing equipment to Kaiser Jeep.

Ten years later GM is developing their new small cars and need a V6. Meanwhile, Kaiser Jeep was bought by AMC. AMC looks at the V6 and one of it's executives says it was "rougher than a cob!"   Amc says screw that we're going to use our own inline six and stops production of the V6.

The Buick design team actually went to a junk yard and pulled out a Dauntless engine from a wrecked Jeep and put it in the car they were developing.  It was a perfect match and they went to HQ to see about buying engines from AMC.

AMC told GM that the per unit costs were going to be too high to make restarting production feasible.  GM then asked if they could buy back the rights to the engine and all of the equipment.

AMC said sure, knock yourself out.

Fortunately GM had't destroyed the factory  in Flint where the engines used to be made.  All of the original mounting points and whatnot were still in place.  They were able to move AMC entire factory and set it up without having to waste time and money on the particulars.  Supposedly that saved GM 2 years of production time.

Fins

I had a 1962 Buick 265 V-6 in a boat that me and a buddy owned. That was one little engine with a s-load of torque. It was in a 24' boat mated to an OMC intermediate housing and outdrive. It loved to eat head gaskets. We pulled the engine in a shop that I was a manager of and sent it out. The machine shop planed the heads, decked the block and bored the cylinders .030 over. After that, it ran perfectly. Smooth at an idle and really came on at 4500-5000 rpm's. 

When we we were out in the ocean and a head gasket blew, it would fill the engine with sea water. IIRC, it would blow that little section in between 2 of the cylinders where the stainless steel ring was. We just kept on with it to get to the dock. It never left us stranded anywhere. The bilge was a real mess after an incident like that. Oily water everywhere. We finally gave it up when the outdrive was stolen off of the back while sitting in my front yard. We pulled the engine and sold it and scrapped the rest.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Otto Skorzeny

That's funny. I guess seawater was used to cool the engine?  Does it just suck in fresh seawater and empty it back into the ocean without going through a radiator?

Fins

Unless the new super $$$ stuff has fresh water cooling, it's all cooled by a water intake in the lower unit. The pump, pumps it through  the cooling system like any other IC engine. Inboard or outboard. The heated water gets expelled through the exhaust outlet, upper and lower also cooling the exhaust.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Otto Skorzeny

Yes, I've seen that inboard and outboard engines do that. I guess I never thought about a car engine in a boat doing the same thing. The intake pipe would have to be pretty big, right?  Is it sucked in and pumped out with the engine's regular car water pump?

Carfreak

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 17, 2021, 10:56:06 PM
Yes, I've seen that outboard and outboard engines do that. I guess I never thought about a car engine in a boat doing the same thing. The intake pipe would have to be pretty big, right?  Is it sucked in and pumped out with the engine's regular car water pump?

Kinda like some vintage firetrucks, huh? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.