News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Avro Arrow Ejection Seat

Previous topic - Next topic

guidematic

It's not the price, but the historic significance of this seat. The Avro Arrow is rooted in Canadian folklore. It's also very fertile ground for speculation and conspiricy theories.

Mike

EXCRUISERGUY

That same seat was used in many different aircraft.
The Dassault Mirage III, Grumman A-6 Intruder, Grumman F-11 Tiger, Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star, McDonnell F3H Demon, McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom, North American F-86D Sabre, North American F-100 Super Sabre, Republic F-84F Thunderstreak/RF-84F Thunderflash, and the Vought F-8 Crusader to name a few.
Anything that is from the Arrow is historically important though as they were supposedly all cut up for scrap. I personally know this to not be true as I found a set of wings in the National aircraft museum in Ottawa after wandering into an area that wasn't open to the public. I was quickly told to leave but not until I shot some video.
They appeared to have been very carefully removed rather than cut with a torch.

That seat should be in a museum, not in a private collection. It belongs to the nation of Canada.

GJ

ST Dog

Quote from: EXCRUISERGUY on December 24, 2011, 05:02:27 PM
That seat should be in a museum, not in a private collection. It belongs to the nation of Canada.

The listing says they restored one and it is in Toronto already.

Canada is free to acquire this one if they wish. Or some benefactor could acquire it and donate it to a museum.

It belongs to who ever buys it. Canada didn't want it back in the '60s.

EXCRUISERGUY

John Diefenbaker didn't want it and he should have been shot for what he did to this country.
He was more interested in fishing than running the country.

GJ

ST Dog

Quote from: EXCRUISERGUY on December 24, 2011, 06:05:14 PM
He was more interested in fishing than running the country.

Better than playing golf all the time.