Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

69 convertible on criagslist

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubla

1996 Fleetwood Brougham
1988 Fleetwood Brougham

Geoff

Looks to be one of those, "nope, I won't sell it I'm going to restore it someday" cars.  Now it might take more to restore than it would be worth when finished.  I can almost smell the wet mold and rotting upholstery, and see the pitted chrome inside.  Really too bad.

:(

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

trvlr480

Quote from: Geoff on July 27, 2012, 02:26:46 AM
Looks to be one of those, "nope, I won't sell it I'm going to restore it someday" cars.  Now it might take more to restore than it would be worth when finished.  I can almost smell the wet mold and rotting upholstery, and see the pitted chrome inside.  Really too bad.

:(

Yep.  That thing will need a LOT of TLC which equals a LOT of money.  Rusted floors and qtrs?  That's big bucks right there.  Then there is the problem of finding the panels to weld in.  There is no doubt it will take more to restore than it will ever be worth.  That's a car for someone that "just wants one" and has the money to do the job right.

guidematic

That's what kills me. Everyone thinks they should be able to get their money back from a restoration. In most cases that will never happen. Remember what this all is, a hobby.

Those early on in the hobby never thought that they would get their investment back, but in the early days when they were "Fixing up" what we now call classics, they were ripe for profit. But the vast majority of restorations are a labour of love.

I'd say this one is too far gone to be a real candidate for restoration. It's merely a parts car. Unless that particular car has some family history. You could buy a nice one for far less than the cost of restoring this one.

Mike

Gary

Could you use the cowl and rear tub to convert a good coupe to a convertible?
If not, I agree that its for parts only.

Gary
When Chuck Norris gives you The Finger, he's telling you how many seconds you have to live.

Geoff

You'd need the convertible's beefed frame too.  A lot of work for a made up convertible.  As Mike said, you could just go out and buy a decent convertible.

:pool:
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Tailfin Joe

Mike your right , its just a hobby , and I see a lot of great cars for sale right now in my neck of woods where the economy sucks right now and people are selling their toys . If that was a 70 I might take a look at for parts.
1970 Coupe Devile

Fins

There is a beautiful '69 Vert in the Self Starter this month.

Also a nice write up of all of the new incoming officers. Congrats again CF.   "clap"
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Looks like mine is a bit delayed. I look to get mine in a few days.

Mike

Fins

Weird. I'm on the cheapest mail program and I got it 2 days ago. I got engrossed in reading it last night.  :read:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

It all gets sent to Steve Plunkett, then he mails it all out from there.

Mike

Carfreak

I got my Self Starter a couple days ago but haven't cracked it yet, was too busy reading CruisNews a local mag with all the car show & events info.  August of course is the big cruising month around here - not just Woodward but Back to the Bricks is the same weekend (bummer) and literally dozens (hundreds?) of other activities in the area. 

Its almost depressing; so much to do with so little time.  I was truly flabbergasted at the scope and breadth of events; it gets better every year. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Geoff

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Gary

Quote from: CarFreak on August 01, 2012, 05:26:40 PM
I got my Self Starter a couple days ago but haven't cracked it yet, was too busy reading CruisNews a local mag with all the car show & events info.  August of course is the big cruising month around here - not just Woodward but Back to the Bricks is the same weekend (bummer) and literally dozens (hundreds?) of other activities in the area. 

Its almost depressing; so much to do with so little time.  I was truly flabbergasted at the scope and breadth of events; it gets better every year. 

I noticed that. There was the truck show you mentioned, the Fire Muster, we saw the beginnings of the Studebaker Drivers Club national meet in South Bend, and on and on. I told Helen that Michigan and Indiana hold more stuff than we could ever hope to attend. But we'll try. :banana:
We stopped at NATMUS yesterday in Auburn : http://www.natmus.org/
Then Studebaker in South Bend : http://www.natmus.org/
And today, Packard in Dayton : http://www.americaspackardmuseum.org/
Tomorrow the USAF museum : http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Gary
When Chuck Norris gives you The Finger, he's telling you how many seconds you have to live.

Carfreak

Did you get a chance to visit the 'new' Studebaker Museum?   Pretty cool the stacked storage in the lower level and Presidential carriages. 

If you travel south through Cinci there's a pretty decent fire museum and the hilly side streets are a riot.   ::)   
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.