Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

8-Track

Previous topic - Next topic

guidematic

OK, I'll believe you. This time.  :yes:

Mike

Tailfin Joe

it went for 103.00 and some change. for your information.
1970 Coupe Devile

Carfreak

Olds version underdash 8-track player, circa 1967 (?)  
Was installed in my 1966 Toro when I got it mid-1980s
No pics of it installed
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Carfreak

Pontiac's monstrosity, 1967 or 68, forget which.  
Basically the same, supposedly some visual differences in the front panel.  

Fins

Sure. Compare the pics. Stevie Wonder could see the differences.

Fins
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Carfreak

And the elusive (but dusty) NOS Caddy unit - - waiting if/when I ever get a 68 Eldo.  

guidematic

I was wondering that too. The Olds unit looks a lot like some of the early 4-track Chevy units I have seen. Delco made all the units the same internally. Each division did their own faceplate with it.

Was '71 not the first year that the integral AM/FM 8-track was available?

Mike

Carfreak

It's difficult to improve on perfection, which may explain why the Toronado saw relatively little change through the end of the first generation in 1970. Even so, worthwhile improvements were made along the way. The 1967 edition was offered with two significant new options: front disc brakes and radial tires. The latter were especially welcome, as the 1966 had developed a reputation for eating its front tires. Mechanical changes were limited to new-style driveshaft joints and, to soften the ride, revised rear shock absorber rates and spring bushings.

The long, heavy doors had been criticized by some owners as cumbersome, so door-opening assist springs were added. New comfort and convenience options comprised AM/FM stereo radio with 8-track tape player, "Strato" front bucket seats and center console (which negated the value of the humpless front floor), and three-point seatbelts.

http://automotivemileposts.com/toronado/toronado1967optionalequipment.html

QuoteStereo Tape Player option (code U57) included rear speaker, and required one of the 3 optional radios be ordered, and the Heater delete was not available. The Stereo Tape Player had separate controls for Program, Balance, Volume, and Tone that were independent of the radio itself.

guidematic

So when did the era of the 4-track end and the 8-track begin? I only got into automotive sound systems in the late '70's when 8-tracks still ruled. But in all the '60's  cars I had any experience with had only AM radios. There wasn't much call for AM/FM since we really didn't have any FM stations in this locale until the mid '70's.

Mike

Carfreak

MrMajstyk -

Did you ever figure out a solution to your 8-track wiring condundrum?  

Seen this guy on Fleabay who's offering new/repro wiring harness connections.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/themrgrandprix/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4390&rt=nc&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

Ebay seller:   themrgrandprix

REBLT 1968 CADILLAC 8 TRACK PLAYER 2 RADIO HARNESS 1967
8 TRACK TO 3 SPEAKER AM & AM/FM MONO RADIO

This is a  REMANUFACTURED 1968 CADILLAC 8 Track player to radio interface harness.  This will only work with 1967 and 1968 AM Wonderbar, and AM/FM MONO radios.    NOT for the 4 speaker stereo radio(see my other auctions for that harness).  This is needed to connect the 1968 under dash tape player to the radio correctly, and is usually cut off, damaged or missing.     All the wires, crimped  terminals are new.  All, and all plastic ends except the front speaker connector are NEW.  

He has other years wiring harnesses, dummy loads, also.

Fins

Interesting that someone should make something like that, being pretty year specific. I wouldn't think there would be a lot of demand for such an item.

Fins
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Carfreak

As I note, he offers other years wiring harnesses also.  And being they are Delco, some will interchange between the GM models. 

This topic has been discussed @ the Mobo several times the past couple years.  I'd post it there, but they don't like my name.   :doh:

guidematic

The harnesses are easy to make. You only need the connectors and the old wiring for a pattern.

Mike

Fins

I'm just noting that mostly only the purists would have a need for these items. Others like me, want the newest in sound systems. I love the SuperTuner III, I have.

Fins
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

guidematic

I certainly like the new systems too. But I also love the look and the sound of the old stuff. I'm keeping my AM/FM Wunderbar in the '70, but I really do have to upgrade the speakers. I have a new system that I will patch into the car, and store it in the glove box out of sight.

The search on the old radio is not sensitive enough, the AM band snaps and pops, so it needs some cleaning and adjusting. I have the manual, but for '69. Some things changed between '69 and '70.

Speaking of which, I was playing my new record player last night, and had it playing over the surround sound. It was simply marvelous. The old mixes with the new. It's really hard to quantify the supremity of the old vinyl over the new digital recording, but the fullness of the sound comes close to describing it.

Mike