News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

500 Tri-Power

Previous topic - Next topic

Fins

But one guy is in Jersey, and the other is in Georgia.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Keeper

Fins

But if you look, the guy with the 500 intake also has a tri-power intake if you look at his other items for sale.

Tri-Power may be cool looking, but the disadvantages far outweigh the gains you get. Unless you really have an engine to put it on, and you have the carbs to supply the fuel needed. But for street use?   :No:

Rich mans game. Finding parts, syncing them correctly etc...
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Russ

You think it would be all shiny n stuff.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

guidematic

These setups really are more for looks and bragging rights. That tri-power would be an abcolute bear to set up and drive. No one would attempt to make it docile enough for street driving. Tunnel rams are for high end power, particularly drag racing. Add the challenges of setting up the carbs.

Give me a proper spreadbore Q-Jet any day.

The reason for multiple carbs in the early days was the carbs available could simply not supply enough air/fuel to the engine at WOT. So they doubled, or tripled them up. The Holley carbs were designed to eliminate the need for multiple carbs. partly as a result for NASCAR banning such set ups. Yet they persisted in the street and drag racing, or where high end power was needed.

Certainly when you remove an air cleaner and see a pair or trio of casrbs, you are impressed. And some set-ups still have some advantages over a single 4-bbl.

Mike

Fins

If I went that route, it with be with the dual quads. And then it would be a pair of Carters on there, seeing as Cadillac didn't make a dual Rochester set up that I know of. But I'm sure it would be possible to retro fit them on there.

But the world is convined 3 is better than 2. They just never set up 3 carbs, and got it right. Syncing 2, 4's together is easy. They have to work together exactly. Tri-Power is progressive, and each carb has to come on according to the demand of the engine.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

guidematic

3-2's generally run on the centre carb most of the time. Then the outer 2 come on as the demand is there. The best way is a progressive linkage. That way they cabe set up on the bench, then fine tuned on the strip. But running a tunnel ram on a single 2bbl would be a fruitless task. This is the first time i have seen 3-2bbls on a tunnel ram.

I have seen a single 4bbl on a tunnel ram, but usually there are 2-4's. Th primary venturii on both are usually in play for lower speeds, and the secondaries come in during WOT. Certainly not a good recipe for low speed driveability or fuel economy.

Mike

Tailfin Joe

Is there a aftermarket set up for tri-power for the 472-500 ?
1970 Coupe Devile

Keeper

I think MTS has anything one would want to try.  10-71 Blower perhaps?

ST Dog

Quote from: Tailfin Joe on October 05, 2011, 12:19:12 PM
Is there a aftermarket set up for tri-power for the 472-500 ?

Not really. Potter Automotive makes an intake with a separate top that can be machined for what ever you want, 2x4, 3x2, etc.

That's what was used for the 8 tbs here
"IMG_0098.JPG" "IMG_0106.JPG" "IMG_0142.JPG"