News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

I'd trade my 59 in a heartbeat.

Previous topic - Next topic

davecdv

Love the car.......pity about the color.

Interior looks nicer than the Eldo Biarritz  IMHO. :yes:

EXCRUISERGUY

That New Yawker is gorgeous!!!!!
I remember them when they were new and they were stunning.

Here's one I saw a couple of years ago.

GJ

Tailfin Joe

How time changes everything, back in 1976 I was selling new and used cars partime for my cousin ,he had a small Dodge , Dodge truck and Chrysler dealership , we could not GIVE away a Newyorker , we had about three that we had to take, they must have sat for close to a year, we were in a small rural town , and small station wagons and pickup trucks sold well, not luxury cars, they are nice cars, and they have one of most comfortable leather seats ever made , but I will ALAWYS take a 76  Cadillac Fleetwood over a Newyorker case closed , all the mopars at that time had terrible quality controll , we replaced a 176 transmissions in one year, and the world famous lean-burn , where we had cars that didn't even make it home , and we ordered cars for customers and Chrysler would lose the cars or the new car orders, this was a terrible time to be involved with Chrysler, but time changes everything...
1970 Coupe Devile

Carfreak

Quote from: Tailfin Joe on December 20, 2011, 10:24:23 PM

they have one of most comfortable leather seats ever made , but I will ALWAYS take a 76  Cadillac Fleetwood over a New Yorker case closed
all the mopars at that time had terrible quality control

:agree:
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Fins

Uhhhh. I would take a 76 Fleetwood over a Chrysler of any model too.   :chin:  I'd be a fool not to. But that's not to say the New Yorker Brougham wasn't an extremely nice car, because it was. And it rode as nice as a Cadillac did too.

The Lean Burn didn't debut until 1977. Chryslers biggest nightmare.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Quote from: CarFreak on December 20, 2011, 10:30:29 PM
Quote from: Tailfin Joe on December 20, 2011, 10:24:23 PM

they have one of most comfortable leather seats ever made , but I will ALWAYS take a 76  Cadillac Fleetwood over a New Yorker case closed
all the mopars at that time had terrible quality control

:agree:

The 80's leather d'Elegance seats are right up there too.

A lot of those lean burn conputors went into the trash can back in the shop I worked in during the 80's. The cars ran so bad that folk would almost be lining up to have them converted. It took another distributor, and disconnecting that computor and they ran like a top.

Agreed, Chrysler had a lot of issues in those years, but those New Yorkers had about the best quality Chrysler had seen in years. The 440/A727 was a great combo. Minus Lean Burn, of coarse.

Mikr

trvlr480

Once past 1974 there are very few American cars I like even if they look good.  Those mid to late 70's everything were so smogged down they were ridiculous.  They sounded like a long gaseous fart from a 400 pound fat-ass when the throttle was nailed.  The quality control on many of them sucked.  I guess some of the Caddy's were all right but American car companies lost it after 1974 as far as I'm concerned.  In '73 they all lost a ton of their power as well.  The 80's were even worse. 

madcaddyman

Dose anybody know who's New Yorker this belongs to?

guidematic

The engineers really scrambled with the emissions laws that were forced upon them in the 70's. They were in a very primitive state then. EGR was in many ways the worst thing to happen to engines. It killed power and drove fuel economy into the basement. Then came CAFE and they had to struggle with that. And all this time they were also struggling with all the new safety regulations.

These regulations took so much out of the engineering resources of the companies that they had to drop racing to divert resources. Overall the product suffered not only in performance but quality. This barrage of regulation was the beginning of the end of the superiority of the American car.

The first downsized GM cars were real technical leaps to the future, even though many were certsainly not attractive. They were the first to use CAD/CAM right from the beginning of their development.

Then the real break came with digital engine management systems. The 1980 Cadillac was the very first to use this, and it has the basics in which every powertrain management system is based today.

The downsizing was GM, not government initiated. They realised that after the '71's hit the market that they really were too big. They had settled into a 6-year design cycle, so work was started almost immediatly to develop the smaller cars. And they were a huge success. I have to wonder what these cars would have been like had the industry not been beaten to death with regulation.

Mike 

Tailfin Joe

Mike your right every year in the 70's the emission related componets caused some kind of driveability problem, and how many EGR related problems just in 73 and 74 when they first were installed on cars ,how I remembered those days!, and the same when HEI came out in 75 , but every year things got a little better because the engineers had time to work to perfect the emission componets and they became intergrated into the system instead of being bolted on. , is the fuel injection system that was used on the 76 Seville considered a digital or analog system ?
1970 Coupe Devile

Fins

That system was classified as EFI. Electronic Fuel Injection. So maybe digital.

And I really don't recall any HEI related problems. The beat Chryslers electronic ignition hands down.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

The system used up to 1980 was analogue. It was based on the European Bendix system. As such it could not adjust to any changes in its' envoronment. Even cutting out the cat would make them run lean. They had to be left as is and everything in good order for them to perform as intended.

DFI had the ability to adapt to many conditions and still perform well. It worked so well that many componemts could be worn out completely before any hint of a problem arose.

Mike

Tailfin Joe

Hey Fins, I worked on a fleet of new Chevy's and fords cars and trucks , I had a lot of module failures, and coil failures the first few years , many a time I would be replacing a module on the road , I did have a few mopars ,back then and a saving grace on there system was that the ballest resistor would blow and I would jump it and able to get the vehicle back to the service center.
1970 Coupe Devile

Russ

I'm in Point Texas for Christmas. Any Misfits close by?
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Fins

Quote from: pyro on December 22, 2011, 08:08:55 PM
I'm in Point Texas for Christmas. Any Misfits close by?

A pin dot on the map, about 100 or so miles East of DFW. I don't of anyone near there.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631