News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

One Big Ass OTR Truck

Previous topic - Next topic

trvlr480

Those are cool pics, Guide.  I think the number of people that take pride in their job these days is dwindling at a rapid rate.  I know I don't.  The reason is the over regulation and the subsequent harassment at the job.  The there is the fact that after you worked your ass off all week there isn't very much cash left once the "Politburo on the Potomac" steals what they think is their share.  What really sucks is that because of pay cuts in so many industries due to the over regulation there isn't much cash at the end of the week even BEFORE the commies steal "their" cut.  Add the collapsing dollar which is increasing the cost of living to that and the picture isn't very rosy.

guidematic

I think over regulation has crept into pretty much any job in one form or another. That really takes any fun and enjoyment out of doing your job. You have no control over the final product, and it has been regulated to a medicre effort.

There are always new restrictions and rules that come down on my job. Many of them stupid, some downright draconian. More paperwork, more safety equipment. I have to wear earplugs all the time now, and they are really annoying me. My ears are filling up with crap and they are actually making me go deaf, and that is documented. I have to wear safety glasses all the time, and they are affecting my vision. But the PTB will not listen, they are only worried about increased comp payments, not about our health.

Mike

trvlr480

Quote from: guidematic on May 25, 2012, 12:47:21 PM

I think over regulation has crept into pretty much any job in one form or another. That really takes any fun and enjoyment out of doing your job. You have no control over the final product, and it has been regulated to a medicre effort.

There are always new restrictions and rules that come down on my job. Many of them stupid, some downright draconian. More paperwork, more safety equipment. I have to wear earplugs all the time now, and they are really annoying me. My ears are filling up with crap and they are actually making me go deaf, and that is documented. I have to wear safety glasses all the time, and they are affecting my vision. But the PTB will not listen, they are only worried about increased comp payments, not about our health.

Mike

Yep.  Safety glasses are about as unsafe as it gets.  There are times when they are needed but the vast majority of the time they aren't.  They are a danger since you can't see anything.  That work place shooting in Georgia a few years ago was over the stupid rule of safety glasses.  They fired that guy because he wasn't wearing his.  He came back and shot the place up.  A little over the top but I understand exactly why he was so pissed off.  I'd bet money he didn't even need them at the time and I'd be right.

The mechanic where I work also works at a Toyota dealership.  He was telling me last night about all the citations that are being written for inspectors that are doing safety inspections.  He got one because he didn't notice that some guy shaved his control arms to fit wider tires.  He did it so well you couldn't tell it wasn't stock unless you compared it to a stock control arm.  Had them smoothed and powder coated.  He went on and on for quite some time last night.  Basically, they are putting inspection stations out of business at an alarming rate.  That's not good news for my Caddy since the neutral safety switch hasn't worked in over 10 years and it isn't needed since no one ever drives the car but me.

For anyone who wants to know some trivia.  Utah is now a communist territory.  They have taken so much money from the feds that it seems they are doing whatever they are told in some areas.  I think they are putting Cap and Trade into effect.  The taxes are going up as well.  It's getting bad in the Salt Lake area.  There are no smog checks outside of Salt Lake County but if you're diesel pickup smokes or they see smoke coming from your car they send you a letter and threaten to pull your registration if you don't come in for a smog check because you were driving in a county that has emissions testing.  I just read an article where the commie governor is increasing social spending.

I'm going to have to get out of here in the not-to-distant future.

guidematic

It's no secret the the gov't is quite intent on putting people out of business as a direct result of over regulation. Is it any wonder that all the companies are closing shop and going overseas?

As far as safety glasses, I actually get more crap in my eyes. The dirt is actually channeled right in by the glasses. Even the doctors will say they shouldn't be worn all the time. Ditto with ear plugs.

But the policy makers that sit in their padded cells all day have no clue. They only look at the cost of comp claims, not incurred costs by the employee and the degradation of hearing and sight.

Mike

Fins

I'm required to wear safety glasses, hard hat and steel toed boots that are at least 6 inches high. I never wear a hard hat unless the loading terminal requires it on the property. I use my Ray-Bans as safety glasses and I always wear the boots anyway. Hard hats give me a headache as do really any kind of hats. I only wear the straw hat when in the direct sun and it doesn't bother me.

Recently the company implemented to wear reflective neon vests. It's to "keep with the trends".  :jack:  A lot of customers will ask us why we have to wear them. I just tell them it makes for a better target to aim for with the car. Then I get the dumb looks.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Keep with the trends?   :ha ha:

Sounds like it's nothing but a fashion statement.  :LOL:

Mike

Fins

Exactly. I wish I had saved that email. All these idiots want to do is sit there and dream up some dumb-ass regulation to show that they are 'earning' their paychecks.

There is an assistant to the assistant to the assistant of the corporate goon everywhere. And most are as useless at tits on a bull.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

trvlr480

Luckily, I don't have to deal with all that B.S. where I work or at the refineries where I load.  They all have the same rules (hard hats, safety glasses, steel toed boots, fire resistant clothes) but they also have common sense so when you don't need that crap they don't complain.  The hard hat and FR clothing are the only two they really enforce.  That is going to change pretty soon with one of our customers though.  That's bad but the paychecks will get bigger so that is good.

Russ

My  :twocents:  Reason why there are so many young unemployed college grads is that they all think they are sooo frikin special. It starts when they are young.  Everyone tells them "your sooo special"  Classic example.  My son just finished his 5th grade, and will be movin on up to middle school.  Guess what, ?  The school had a graduation ceremony. Un frikin believable. The kids walked a line to get their diploma.  Parents had ballons and flowers and all other bullshit.  My kid asked me what I got him. He got the cold hard truth.  "Son, you passed 5th grade, and movin on up to middle school.  You get one graduation, and thats when you graduate high school.  Hopefully college too."  That, and 20 bucks.

All these little shits think they are sooo special, that they think they dont have to do shit to prove themselves. 
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

trvlr480

QuoteAll these little shits think they are sooo special, that they think they dont have to do shit to prove themselves.

That's right.  I've run into a few of these kids in college over the past few years and some of them are the most narcissistic ego-maniacs I've ever met with the young dumb feminists being the worst.  The ones that work in the offices and make our lives miserable are just mind numbed drones who can't think for themselves which is why they think all the stupid safety rules are necessary.

I will say though that TORT reform is what we need and the lack of it is what is causing all these problems.  The bottom line is that gooberment is the cause of 90% of all the problems we have.  The people to complain to are congress and the senate which I do fairly often but not as often as I used to.

Gary

Pyro
you sure hit that nail on the head.
They're the "trophy" generation; everybody gets a trophy.
Well, life doesn't give you trophies for playing; it gives you the results of your work ethic and the consequences of your choices.
Teaching children otherwise is poor parenting. I salute your approach to a 5th grade "graduation".

Gary 
When Chuck Norris gives you The Finger, he's telling you how many seconds you have to live.

madcaddyman

Quote from: trvlr480 on May 25, 2012, 08:56:17 PM
Quote from: guidematic on May 25, 2012, 12:47:21 PM

Mike

Yep.  Safety glasses are about as unsafe as it gets.  There are times when they are needed but the vast majority of the time they aren't.  They are a danger since you can't see anything.  That work place shooting in Georgia a few years ago was over the stupid rule of safety glasses.  They fired that guy because he wasn't wearing his.  He came back and shot the place up.  A little over the top but I understand exactly why he was so pissed off.  I'd bet money he didn't even need them at the time and I'd be right.

The mechanic where I work also works at a Toyota dealership.  He was telling me last night about all the citations that are being written for inspectors that are doing safety inspections.  He got one because he didn't notice that some guy shaved his control arms to fit wider tires.  He did it so well you couldn't tell it wasn't stock unless you compared it to a stock control arm.  Had them smoothed and powder coated.  He went on and on for quite some time last night.  Basically, they are putting inspection stations out of business at an alarming rate.  That's not good news for my Caddy since the neutral safety switch hasn't worked in over 10 years and it isn't needed since no one ever drives the car but me.

For anyone who wants to know some trivia.  Utah is now a communist territory.  They have taken so much money from the feds that it seems they are doing whatever they are told in some areas.  I think they are putting Cap and Trade into effect.  The taxes are going up as well.  It's getting bad in the Salt Lake area.  There are no smog checks outside of Salt Lake County but if you're diesel pickup smokes or they see smoke coming from your car they send you a letter and threaten to pull your registration if you don't come in for a smog check because you were driving in a county that has emissions testing.  I just read an article where the commie governor is increasing social spending.

I'm going to have to get out of here in the not-to-distant future.

This!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4Hmc

Rene

guidematic

Kubla

I am glad I do not drive trucks anymore, got out of it 13 years ago, pretty much at the start of the tracking device in the truck and electronic log book stuff
also glad that I work in a federal building, no city and state permits and hassles to do anything
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
1988 Fleetwood Brougham