News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

1970 Convertible

Previous topic - Next topic

guidematic

Even relatively plebian Mopars are commanding stupid money these days. For the life of me I don't get it. In their day they were shit boxes once they got a few years on them.

Belvederes never lasted very long, if they didn't rust out, the electrical systems spelled their early demise.

Mike

Fins

Most anything from the 70's rotted off of the frames before their time. Even the Jap junk did.

As much as I like the Cadillacs of this era, they were total rust wagons if not kept in a temperature controlled environment.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Where I lived the Jap stuff lasted maybe 3 or 4 years and it was a rusted out hulk.

Mike

EXCRUISERGUY

Quote from: guidematic on June 29, 2012, 11:25:55 AM

Where I lived the Jap stuff lasted maybe 3 or 4 years and it was a rusted out hulk.

I remember when the Datsun 510 came out. They lasted less than a year.
One winter in a town that got it's road salt free and they were finished.

GJ

Keeper

This KRAZY stuff is what I was talking about.Just a shell,no motor and just shot! 30K
Bids over 5k really......Insane....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-DODGE-CHALLENGER-/280910376542?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4167902e5e#ht_500wt_977

Gary

Strange how these trends get going.
Remember when everyone wanted a bar-hopping chopper. Then they realized how uncomfortable they were to ride.
Remember when the price of Mustangs and 55-57 TBirds shot thru the roof, and now there's one on every corner.
Remember bell-bottom pants, Nehru jackets, Members Only windbreakers, sideburns, big hair, wide ties, and then narrow ties.
Its all about fashion and having the "in" thing. Like tatoos and piercings today.
That's just stupid money for an old Dodge shell.   

Gary
When Chuck Norris gives you The Finger, he's telling you how many seconds you have to live.

Fins

Quote from: Gary on June 30, 2012, 12:32:52 PM
Strange how these trends get going.
Remember when everyone wanted a bar-hopping chopper. Then they realized how uncomfortable they were to ride.
Remember when the price of Mustangs and 55-57 TBirds shot thru the roof, and now there's one on every corner.
Remember bell-bottom pants, Nehru jackets, Members Only windbreakers, sideburns, big hair, wide ties, and then narrow ties.
Its all about fashion and having the "in" thing. Like tatoos and piercings today.

Gary

Jeez Gary.....Bellbottoms and sideburns. You sure know how to make a person feel old, don't you?

Hey, the private sector is doing just fine. I'm sure someone will come along and buy it. It's been written here many times. If the price seems high, then maybe it's worth it.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Gary

It wouldn't be so bad if the money was ging for a decent car. Hell. a Mudstang is just a gussied up Falcon : wonky front suspension, bad brakes, cheap trim and all the noise, vibration, and harshness you want.
Those Dodges were road pigs with skinny tires and lousy brakes.
Remember the old Saturday Night Live character that Billy Crystal played?
His famous saying was , "It's better to look good than to feel good." With cars such as above, the saying would be, "It's better to look good, than to drive worth a damn."

Gary
When Chuck Norris gives you The Finger, he's telling you how many seconds you have to live.

EZ

Yeah but Mpoars of that era will bring BIG money so it's worth it to restore them.
You have trouble getting your money back out of almost any other brand of the same era.

guidematic

It might be a stretch if it was originally a Hemi car, but a plebian 383?

Mike

trvlr480

Quote from: Fins on June 29, 2012, 05:14:29 AM
Most anything from the 70's rotted off of the frames before their time. Even the Jap junk did.

As much as I like the Cadillacs of this era, they were total rust wagons if not kept in a temperature controlled environment.

That's true.  My '73 was originally from NJ.  It took a LOT of time to fix all that rust and I knew it would come back some day.  Considering how much rust it had I'm surprised it took at long as it did to start coming back especially since it's spent the majority of it's life in the ice and snow since I got it.  It's just the right front fender and the left rear qtr that are really showing it though.  The floor pan and everything else are in surprisingly good shape.  It's probably got another 5 or 10 years before it get really gross to look at.

guidematic

It's a constant battle with my '70. The bloody roof, twice. Now the left front fender and I really need rear body mounts.

Mike

trvlr480

I know what you mean.  The roof just above the l/r qtr on mine is a mess rust wise.  I went over everything a couple of years ago to try and retard the rust but I did it in less than optimum conditions (cold, wet) and it's coming back with a vengeance.  I'll just keep driving it since it runs so good but eventually the cost of making it presentable is going to culminate in a parting out and junking.  But so what?  If I've gotten 20 years or more out of it it's worth it  It's been the best, most reliable car I've evr owned.  People like my old worn out '73 Caddy more than they oogle over a new Caddy or anything else because it signifies what America used to build.  Not the junk it builds now.  I could have afforded to go out and get into debt for a nice new flashy car or truck but I didn't because I liked this one, it serves it's purpose and I'm glad I didn't get into debt for a newer vehicle now with the economy collapsing and everything else that is going on.  Crappy fuel mileage and all this is about the cheapest form of transportation I could have.

EZ

Quote from: guidematic on July 02, 2012, 11:34:57 PM

It might be a stretch if it was originally a Hemi car, but a plebian 383?

Mike

Down here all ya have to do is find an old Mopar (doesn't matter what engine it came with)
drop in a Hemi crate motor and poof!!!!  You have a high dollar car and people are BUYING THEM!!!!
There are more Hemi cars running around now than Chrysler actually produced I believe.

Fins

Ueah, they drop in a new style Hemi like the guy with the 58 Brougham with the N*. That's what also ruined all of the big Chryslers. Gearheads would buy them up, pull the 440/727's out and scrap the rest.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631