News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Here's another for you Geoff.

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

Fins

Is it the same jackwagon on the MCLC and the MoBo? That is his handle.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Geoff

Just for the halibut, here is another Lincoln "Caribou"

:pool:
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

guidematic

Is that what they look like at the start of their hibernation in a field?

Also I can't get used to that odd oval rear window. Is that supposed to replicate the oval opera windows of the standard car? Or is it foreshadowing of that odd ovoid Taurus.

Mike

EZ

I'm wondering if they beefed up the rear suspension???  If not, you certainly couldn't carry much in the bed
of that car...........er, truck.

Geoff

EZ, my answer to  your question at the MCLC site. ---

Just a car with a pickup bed.  Cadillac or Lincoln had nothing to do with the building of these cars, if you wanted one you bought a new Coupe deVille from Cadillac (or Continental from Ford) and had it shipped to Caribou Motors in California, they did all of the conversion work.  
Mine does have air shocks (that I had to replace) but I don't know if Caribou Motors put them in or if they came later, my guess is they were put in later.  They were meant for gentleman farmers and probably most never hauled any heavy loads other than golf clubs or a couple bales of hay.  Evel Knievel owned a couple of Caribous at different times (and maybe a Mirage also) that he hauled his Harley around in.  From the pictures I have seen it definitely had beefed up tailgate hinges and mountings.      

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

EZ

I would have added a leaf or two to the rear suspensions or added the air bag helper springs to carry the load.
I mean you KNOW people are going to put stuff back there................. :yes:

Geoff

The air shocks seem to do well so far.  I have already had my spare TH-400 tranny in the bed of mine.

After the first of the year the Caribou is going in for a Class III trailer hitch.  I am hoping to take both Big Red and the Caribou to the Cadillac Grand National in Boston, Big Red will be on my trailer (for the first time since his completion).  I figure it will be cheaper to tow one and suffer the poor(er) gas mileage than to drive 2 cars up there.  Plus the fact that Jan has no desire to drive ANY car from Florida to upstate New York which will be our base and from where both cars will then be driven to Boston (about a 3 hour ride).

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Jon

Do you think The caribou's brakes are going to be able to handle Big Red?

Fins

Why wouldn't they? They are a disc/drum set up. And driving nice, I wouldn't foresee a problem there.

I almost wonder if BR would do a better job towing the Caribou.  :chin: Though the O/D trans might play hell shifting back and forth.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

The trailer should have brakes with that weight. Set up properly they can really haul the combination down.

BTW, what rear gear does the Caribou have? The stock 2.94:1?

Mike

Jon

I don't know the car weights,  but I suspect BR has a few pounds on the caribou.
I was just wondering about cooling of the brakes for such a heavy load.  Does the trailer have electric brakes?

Fins

I guess we'll find out when Geoff wakes up. He was probably out late at Capt. Hiram's last night.   :Muttley:
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

Gary

When Chuck Norris gives you The Finger, he's telling you how many seconds you have to live.

Geoff

Yes, my trailer has electric brakes, and they do work well.  I have trailered Big Red before he was finished with that trailer behind the '72 Chevy pickup I used to have with a 350 engine.  The Chevy had a 700R4 that I put in it with a "push-on, push-off" button mounted on the directional signal lever to deactivate the locking converter.  The little I trailered Big Red around I usually had to leave the locking converter turned off but the Chevy pulled it well and stopped well other than that.

The Caribou's rear is the stock ratio.

As far as the weights are concerned, the title for Big Red says 4107 pounds but I have had it weighed and it now comes in at 4020, probably because the radiator, engine, trans, rear end combination is lighter than what came out of it.  The Coupe deVille that the Caribou is based on has a factory weight of 4877 according to the shop manual but I imagine it too weighs less after losing much of its steel roof, trunk lid, and upper rear body to fiberglass in the conversion.  Would be interesting to have it weighed now which I will do one of these days.  

;D  Haven't been to Capt. Hiram's for a while, tonight we're going to the Lobster Shanty with a couple that live out here near us.  We'll be taking Big Red if the weather clears in time.

:pool:

Neat Corvette, Gary.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red