News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Here's another for you Geoff.

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Wow,  I figured BR would be much heavier than that.

When I was towing Chester behind my dakota (~4600lbs) I didn't have the module required to allow me to use the electric brakes on the trailer. I was braking down a very steep curving hill and I could feel that the trailer was pushing my back end out a bit which was making me nervous. I'll definitely buy an electric brake controller if I ever need to tow anything that heavy again.

guidematic

I was thinking that the final drive on the Caribou may be a bit tall for the weight of Big Red and the trailer combination. But it should still pull it all OK in most conditions. But you may want to consider putting on a good trans cooler.

The pickup would have had a much shorter rear so pulling it would have worked better.

When I pulled my 27' travel trailer with my '70 Fleetwood, it was quite an exercise. First, the rear gear was far too tall, keeping the transmission form doing what it was supposed to do. I had to shift manually to keep engine RPMs in the fat part of the torque curve when accelerating without holding my foot to the floor. I found that the ideal speed was about 60 MPH and no more. If I tried more, fuel economy would just tank.

Mind you, I was pushing a fair bit of air with that trailer too. That should not be so much of a problem with Big Red.

Mike

Geoff

Quote from: guidematic on December 29, 2012, 03:46:02 PM
I was thinking that the final drive on the Caribou may be a bit tall for the weight of Big Red and the trailer combination. But it should still pull it all OK in most conditions. But you may want to consider putting on a good trans cooler.

Mike

Funny you should mention that, I just finished installing a good size tranny cooler last week.

Pic. #1 --- Starting out, I have 2 mounting brackets clamped to the upper mounts of the cooler.
Pic. #2 --- Finished, not easy to see now that it is painted black.  I made the brackets to fit the upper and mid grille mounting bolts, it made for a solid and clean installation.

There will definitely be some test runs made with Big Red up before heading out for a trip like I am considering.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

Fins

Now that is a cooler.  :yikes:

I hope it doesn't block air to the condenser too bad. That is the problem I had. The tranny cooler was so big that it blocked cooling air to the A/C condenser and sent the head pressures up to +350psi on the high side.

With the direct drive 7 blade fan and the shroud on there, I've been good. But I have also run the trans fluid through the radiator cooler like the factory did. Now it stays a bit warmer then coolant temps. And by a bit, I mean maybe 15-20 degrees.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

That's a big cooler alright. It will keep that trans nice and cool.

I installed an oil cooler off a CASCAR racer on the '70. It noticeably kept the trans cooler, to the touch. If I had one of those infrared sensors, I could have gauged exactly how much.

Mike