News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

'73 Coupe deVille parts.

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow for you but it is a Cadillac AM/FM stereo radio with an 8 track player, it was an option.

From this site ----
http://automotivemileposts.com/cadillac/cadi1973optionalequipment.html

AM/FM Stereo Radio with Integral Eight Track Tape Player ($416)

There was also a dealer installed stand alone 8 track player but the radio was factory installed.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

Denrep

Right, it was available,  but the ones I've seen look like a Chevy 8-track stuck in the dash, with a definite mismatch from the rest of the dash, or an OE Cad radio. And now I've looked at so many that I'm beginning to believe that's just how it was.

Maybe that's all you got with a $400 8-track in a Cadillac?   :confused2:
That's (was) alotta jack for a radio!  :screwy:

We'll see what Geoff comes up with.
...When I started to gain on that Cadillac!

guidematic

Those big Cadillac radios wouldn't fit in a Chevy dash. They had a big heat sink on the side of them that interfered with the dash on the Chevy. I know, I modified a couple to fit into a '75 Impala and '76 Bel Air dash. These radios also weighed in at about 5 pounds.

Mike

trvlr480

Quote from: Geoff on December 04, 2012, 06:07:51 PM
trvlr,

Just to be sure, this is the piece you need, correct?

Held on with 2 bolts and it is stapled to the front side of the rubber shield.  My plan is to cut the staples and remove the piece from what's left of the rubber, blast it and shoot some undercoat on it.  I will include some heavy stainless steel aircraft safety wire (I've got a bunch of it) that you can cut into smaller lengths and use as "staples".  That is how I affixed mine to my new fender rubber shields.

If that all is satisfactory, PM me your shipping address and I will let you know the shipping charges and get it sent to you.

Geoff    

If I remember correctly.  It's been a long time since I looked under there.  Yes, that's it.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to PM you.

Fins

Trvlr. Click on Geoffs' name in any post he made. His profile will come up. At the bottom center in the additional options box you'll see a message that says PM this member. Just click that and it will take you to a text box that looks just like a reply to a post box. Type out your message and hit send.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Or just click on the little square box like balloon under his avatar right on the post. It will take you straight to the PM window.

Mike

Geoff

I received trvlr's PM, thanks.  

Here are pictures of the AM/FM 8 track radio for Denrep.  The chrome is pretty good but needs cleaning (some minor pitting), the narrow chrome trim around the dial numbers may or may not clean up.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Geoff

Here is a picture of the '73 AM/FM Stereo radio in the Caribou, basically the same looking as the 8 tracker --- except the dial window is a little different.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Denrep

Ueah Geoff, To be sure I'll compare with the ones I've been messing with, but I think that's the same "mismatch" I was talking about.

I'd say that settles it though, the OE Cadillac 8-track definitely has an afterthought look to it, at least to me.

What I've found is that the 8-track is now such an oddity and focal point that's so closely studied  that it quickly goes from "gee wiz, an 8-track" to, "...oh you put that in there out of something else." And if I say  "no, that's the way that Cadillac matched the rest of the panel..." I'll get the dice roll every time.  :rotfl:

Still looks like a nice piece.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Good Luck

Geoff

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Fins

Okay, I have to stick my 1 1/2 cents in here. Every Cadillac radio that I have ever owned of have even seen has had the wreath on the volume and tuning knobs. I've never seen plain jane knobs like that on a Cadillac radio.

The Eldorados always had the gold highlighted wreaths on the knobs.  I'm going from about 69 and forward. Nothing with the 2 knobs paired side by side.

Why do I feel that someone out there is going to destroy this post with thoughts other than radios?  :chin:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Denrep

But ueagh, not taking away from Geoff's 8-track, we know it's an original Cad piece, but ain't that a Mickey Mouse face when compared to his reply #22 radio? That's what I meant with reply #14 and 16.

Fins

Ueah, but, what else are you going to do when the face has to open to accept the tape. It has to be simple. Can't have a complicated swinging door. Even the dial indicator was a light prism so they wouldn't have to have oddball wiring in the faceplate.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

Denrep

Quote from: Fins on December 06, 2012, 02:08:46 AM
Ueah, but, what else are you going to do when the face has to open to accept the tape. It has to be simple. Can't have a complicated swinging door. Even the dial indicator was a light prism so they wouldn't have to have oddball wiring in the faceplate.

Agreed on the complicated "logistics" of through-the-face tape, Fins, but the color font and style of the face isn't even close to matching the rest of the instrument panel. I'm almost sure it was picked up in a raid on some other division's parts bin.

As I mentioned, with the first few I looked at closely I thought that they were probably a "will-fit" radio that someone had installed, but then I kept seeing more of the same.

Especially now with Geoff's OE sticker, it's looking like it is what it was.
To me, they stick out like a sore thumb, far shy from what $400 in a top-line car should have bought.

How much is that today? $1500.00  :doh:  :rotfl:

Good Luck

Fins

Match it with the font on Buick radios. There is your answer.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631