News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

550 Bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Does anyone have a good one of these they would be willing to sell me, or point me in the direction of a supplier?  It is a #550 bulb, the one I have was made by GE but other bulb makers made them.  GM used them in dashboard maplights for many years and in many different car lines.  I do not know the full range of cars and years but I know the '67 Pontiac used them and so did my '73 Caddy.  They are flat on the ends and the filament wire comes out of each end of the bulb and is folded over into a groove on one side of the flat surface.  I have searched the internet for a replacement to no avail, they are not even listed by internet sellers such as Bulbtown, and I have not found them on eBay.  I have looked at hundreds of miniature bulbs on the internet in an attempt to find one that would at least work but no luck.  If anyone has a stash I would like to buy 2 so I will have a spare, but just one would be a great find.  Thanks.
Geoff

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

JAG56Cad

Geoff

Thank you, Jag, I have already been to that Pontiac site and called them, while they list them they do not have them.  I will keep Don's bulbs as a last resort. 
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Carfreak

We might have one (or two)

Region Bored meeting tonight so won't be home until later.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Geoff

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Fins

I just looked in my stash too. No such thing. The one that I do have, has the connecters looped at the end that you would hang in the mid 70's door courtesy lights. Otherwise, it would be yours for the asking.

I have a place here called Lightbulbs Unlimited. Lemme take a peek there.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Fins

Here's a thought Geoff. Maybe with your vast talents you could modify the socket to accept a 194 bulb. You never stated the application and/or brightness needs.

Just thinking... :chin:

I did find out that it's called a 'rigid loop' bulb if that helps, but I'll keep on digging.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Geoff

AFAIK it was only used for the purpose I stated, a dashboard maplight bulb.  The 194 bulb will not work.  I have been after this for a while, nothing even remotely resembling the 550 bulb will work for one reason or another.  Thank you for your efforts though.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Fins

I did some digging, you did some digging and it just seems to be non-existant. I even searched under the guise of obsolete. I found bulbs for T's and A's, but not for your map light. I looked under the cars that you stated, even went out and looked at my own map light. No dice there, sir.

Gawd I hate to ask, but have you put it out there on the MoBo? That could be a source of last resort there.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

Geoff

Maybe CF will have something, but the MOBO is my next best bet.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Russ

Geoff, shoot me an email at  russ85747@hotmail.com   I should have some bulbs in the dash light assemblies I have.  Ya pay the shipping, and they are yours.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Geoff

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Russ

Geoff, the Caddi dash map lights I have have the round metal end caps. So sorry to get your hopes up. :trash computer:   Better luck with CF. 
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Geoff

Thank you very much for looking, Pyro.
Geoff

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

EZ

Geoff, I have a box full of bulbs from when I was in the mobile oil change business.
I was servicing ambulances so I have a whole bunch of different kinds of bulbs.  Let
me check to see what I have.