News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper

I have to go see it tomorrow anyways,Looks rusty but,one nasty 500 under that hood,Huh?
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/3872727367.html

Fins

Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Keeper

Well, Those non smog 70 heads are valuable,The crank 70 only also valuable.Pulley setup also 70 only!Ball joints
and back plates 70 is the one needed for 67-8 brake /spindles...... Seems like the guy does not want to give it away
but we will see.

guidematic

The pulley set up is also available on '75-'79's and are more plentiful. The heads are devoid of the AIR passages, but otherwise do the 68-69 heads qualify being essentially the same?

Why is the crank different?

Mike

ST Dog

'75+ pulleys are for a single PS/AC belt, not the dual belt setup. Using them means new AC and PS pulleys.

It's the lack of AIR passages that differentiate the heads, and make them a bit lighter than the ones with AIR passages.

Of course, with the MTS pulley sets and aluminum heads available, the '70 specific parts are not as "valuable" to the hot rod guys now.

As for the brakes, you're talking Eldo stuff, so I don't know.

guidematic

Quote from: ST Dog on July 07, 2013, 02:01:06 PM
'75+ pulleys are for a single PS/AC belt, not the dual belt setup. Using them means new AC and PS pulleys.

But many more years, and you can pull the PS pump and compressor if need be.

It's the lack of AIR passages that differentiate the heads, and make them a bit lighter than the ones with AIR passages.

So what's the weight savings? Is that significant? I don't think so.

Mike

Keeper

094 crank alone is $500.It is the strongest most desireable. Right! 68/9 and 71/2 are the 76 cc heads.I have one 70 and one 68 on the car now.So was there no A.I.R in those later years?

Keeper

All turbo guys cannot use the aluminum heads. The world record car has the same heads and crank and block thats in my car.

guidematic

If I remember right, there were 3 generations of head on the 472/500. The 68-70, 71-73 and 74-76. Each generation may have some minor year to year differences, but not so that they wouldn't be useable.

The 71-73 heads had very small combustion chambers. The drop in compression was due to large reliefs in the pistons. The 74-76 used flat top pistons and larger combustion chambers.

Put 71-73 heads on a 74-76 block and you get 12.5:1 compression.

Mike

Keeper

Remember what they went through in 73 with the indy pace car.Had to go back and get old parts to make it fast enough to get around the track. 76 cc was the early heads 120cc was the later.

ST Dog

Quote from: guidematic on July 07, 2013, 02:05:12 PM

So what's the weight savings? Is that significant? I don't think so.

The weight savings are minor, but they can be ported to flow significantly better than the head with smog rails.
As core's for building/porting they command a $100 premium. Ported and built they used to run $200+ more.

Now there are aluminum heads that flow as well or better, and weight a lot less (38lbs each) for ~ $500 more, so they are as in demand, though iron heads still have some advantages over aluminum, and some racing classes require factory (iron) heads.

ST Dog

Quote from: Keeper on July 07, 2013, 04:19:31 PM
68/9 and 71/2 are the 76 cc heads.
So was there no A.I.R in those later years?

'68-73 were all 76 cc heafds, but only the '70 had heads w/o smog rails.

Yes there were some later engines that didn't have A.I.R. though it was more common with the 425 that the 500.
The pulleys will swap, but the heads are not really useable on a 500.

Those later 500s, with 120cc heads may not have had the rails drilled, but they are cast in the heads.
The 120cc heads don't flow as well as the 76cc heads when ported. Factory they are real similar, but that's not who will pay the premium.

That said, I don't think the car in question is a $3500 car. The engine parts aren't worth that much more, and it's a real pain to hold onto them til they sell at the premium price. None of the performance parts places will buy at those prices, and you still have to cover shipping costs.

Same with all the other parts. You could probably part it and sell the bits for $3500, but it'd take a few years to do it. And you aren't valuing your labor at all. At $10/hr you'd only net $1000-1500.

Fins

Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Keeper

Well,No Call back from the guy.I would be able to utilize almost all of the core/car for mine and the 500
could be in a xjs convert like I talked about before.