Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

550 Bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

Denrep

Howdy MTB  :hi:

Doesn't seem possible.  :scratchhead:
But I gotta take y'all's word for it.  :confused2:

We have a pitchur of this thing?

From NAPA, I bought EVERY bulb for a '73 Eldo just a couple-few years ago.
Probly woulda been better off leaving the OEs in some of the locations.  :censored:

There was one lamp delivered via slow-boat, but I think it was the side marker - not sure anymore.  :chin:

I did figure out that not all new headlamps are compatible with the Optigrab, or whatever the optic-fiber lamp monitor gizzmo was called. Details should be easy to look up in the appropriate old thread.

---------

Edit - Ueagh, this backwards skim reader/poster just found the details posted earlier in this thread.  :confused2:
...When I started to gain on that Cadillac!

Carfreak

Can we presume you found pics too?
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

mistertudball

I just bought two (in theory) #550 bulbs from RockAuto.com after being recommended there by members of a Corvair forum (I have one of those too).  If it's wrong, I'm out six bucks including shipping.  I'll let y'all know how it works out. 

Went to my friendly NAPA today just because it's a beautiful convertible day and asked them about the bulb.  Two dudes there and their computer were not sure what would work, so I left.  But now I see a 561 and 562 that both look perfect.  Looks can be deceiving?

Denrep

Geoff

Quote from: mistertudball on June 25, 2013, 08:52:25 PM
I just bought two (in theory) #550 bulbs from RockAuto.com after being recommended there by members of a Corvair forum (I have one of those too).  If it's wrong, I'm out six bucks including shipping.  I'll let y'all know how it works out. 

Went to my friendly NAPA today just because it's a beautiful convertible day and asked them about the bulb.  Two dudes there and their computer were not sure what would work, so I left.  But now I see a 561 and 562 that both look perfect.  Looks can be deceiving?

:doh:  Geeeez.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

Fins

Maybe. What about precise dimensions?  Not a lot of room for error here.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Geoff

OK, humble me some more.  I searched RockAuto for a 550 bulb and all I could get was ---

Search for Part # = '550' and Manufacturer = 'GE' and Part Type = 'Map Light Bulb'
   Search for Part # = '550' and Manufacturer = 'GE' and Part Type = 'Courtesy Light Bulb'
   Search for Part # = '550' and Manufacturer = 'GE' and Part Group = 'Electrical-Lamp & Socket'

No Parts Found

How and where at RockAuto did you find the bulb, or did you buy the last ones they had?   :scratchhead:
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

Geoff

A 562 will be too long.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red

guidematic

On that, another number may physically fit, but may have a different candlepower rating. That could result in too much heat and a melted lense. So look closely at the specs when you swap numbers.

Have you seen the guys that replace the bulb (don't have the correct #) in the HMSL with an 1156? It almost always results in a melted lense and/or housing.

Mike

mistertudball

Well THAT was dastardly!  I just checked RockAuto to find a link to the bulbs I bought, and clicked on the link to check on my order.  It said they didn't have the bulbs and canceled the order.  Good thing I didn't sit like a puppy dog watching my mailbox for weeks!  And the hunt goes on! 

Denrep

[lightbox url=http://cadillacmisfits.com/gallery2/main.php/d/12293-1/CMF550Lamp.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=3bd6ae80c7492b19e1eb13195ecba6fc caption="CMF550Lamp" set=g2image]"CMF550Lamp"[/lightbox]

Ueagh, what say the other numbers?  :chin:

Fins

What about the door lamp bulbs?  :chin: Same year. They have the metal caps on the end. If they were removed and the contacts bent over, would they work? Or like was noted, would the power be too high and bright, resulting in melting?

On another note, why not modify the housing to accept a different bulb that's readily available?
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Denrep

Quote from: Fins on June 26, 2013, 10:35:43 PM
What about the door lamp bulbs?  :chin: Same year. They have the metal caps on the end. If they were removed and the contacts bent over, would they work? Or like was noted, would the power be too high and bright, resulting in melting?

On another note, why not modify the housing to accept a different bulb that's readily available?

Ueagh, I thoughta that too  :scratchhead:

[lightbox url=http://cadillacmisfits.com/gallery2/main.php/d/12296-1/CMF550Lamp2.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=8d8247ea29e06b278efaa41468c39927 caption="CMF550Lamp2" set=g2image]"CMF550Lamp2"[/lightbox]

Probly workable, but not plug-N-play

Fins

Okay, what about spreading the contacts? Is it too much of a spread to sufficiently hold the door bulbs? I don't have a test mule here.

But I did get my new carpeting today. Nice. Good tight pile. Nothing like the junk ACC sent me a few years ago.
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

Denrep

Quote from: Fins on June 26, 2013, 11:12:14 PM
Okay, what about spreading the contacts? Is it too much of a spread to sufficiently hold the door bulbs? I don't have a test mule here. . . .

Tends to want to "spit" the lamp out. The "V" of the terminal ideally needs a valley to rest in.

Probly workable, but the fixture terminals don't seem like they'd stand much in bending experiments.