News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

F/S: 'New' 1964 1/2 Mustangs

Previous topic - Next topic

Carfreak

'New' 1964 1/2 Ford Mustangs revved up and ready for sale

The original Ford Mustang is a half-century old, but now you can buy a brand new one.

Florida startup Revology is selling a picture perfect clone of the first-generation pony car that's been updated with modern mechanicals. The company was started by Tom Scarpello, former marketing chief for Ford's Special Vehicle Team, the skunkworks responsible for high-performance products like the Mustang Cobra R, F-150 Lightning and GT.

Revology starts with licensed replica bodies built by Dynacorn, then fills them with a collection of curated parts intended to improve on the ride and performance of the classic while maintaining its old-school style.

Look closely, and you'll notice the LED head and taillights, and the keyhole missing from the passenger door. It doesn't have one because the car's been fitted with remote electronic locks, along with a hidden antenna, power seats, and power windows that are operated by switches disguised as wind-up cranks.

The engine is a remanufactured 1990's-era 302 V8 supplied by Ford, which was chosen because it's the same size as the original 289 V8 and fits perfectly in the chassis without requiring modifications. The fuel injected motor puts out about 265 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, and is mated to either a 5-speed manual, or 4-speed automatic transmission that sends power to a 9-inch, 3.70 ratio limited slip rear end. The whole kit and caboodle comes with a 100,000-mile warranty.

A new suspension design featuring MacPherson struts up front and a three-link coil sprung set up in the rear is a big change from the 1960s Mustangs, and was developed by Australia's RRS for Revology. Power rack and pinion steering is standard and has a collapsible column for improved safety, enhanced further by three-point seatbelts and door-intrusion beams.

Four-wheel disc brakes do the stopping, and Revology offers a selection of 15 to 17-inch heritage style rims. Feel free to smoke the tires on them, but if you open the ashtray you'll find USB and Aux ports for the Bluetooth-equipped 2-speaker AM/FM retro audio system.

Scarpello says his team developed the car using the same kind of process SVT employed modifying Ford's mainstream products, building several prototypes with volume production in mind, rather than simple one-off customs. Revology has low volume manufacturer status, and sells its cars with new VINs and titles.

As you might imagine, they cost a fair bit more than the 1964 1/2 Mustang's $2,368 base price. A fastback starts at $ 119,500.00, while a convertible with power top is listed at $122,000, with deliveries on new orders starting next year.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

The blue one in the photo above is a 1966 Mustang, not a 1965. (no such thing as a '64 1/2 Mustang - much as there is no such thing as a 1908 Model T or a 1983 Corvette)

The McPherson strut suspension sounds really nice.  I like symmetry so the lack of a door lock on the passenger side bugs me.

Carfreak

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on March 18, 2015, 10:33:00 PM
no such thing as a '64 1/2 Mustang

Ueah I know, same with the pic, just sharing the story. 

guidematic

The wags all say there are differences between the first Mustangs and the later ones built in the fall of '64. Things like the dash, the V-8 being a 289 instead of a 260. Hence the moniker 64 1/2. I've never been able to substantiate that. I'm sure someone here will.

BTW, I'll take one with a 240 six and a floor mounted 3-speed.

Mike

Carfreak

Quote from: guidematic on March 19, 2015, 01:25:56 AM

Mike

A long time friend has one just like that. She always wanted an early Mustang - dunno why but whatever. She found a car on Fleabay, bid, won then called to ask if she did good. Surprisingly for the circumstances she did very good.

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: guidematic on March 19, 2015, 01:25:56 AM

The wags all say there are differences between the first Mustangs and the later ones built in the fall of '64. Things like the dash, the V-8 being a 289 instead of a 260. Hence the moniker 64 1/2. I've never been able to substantiate that. I'm sure someone here will.

Mike

There are differences but they were all sold and titled by Ford as 1965 models.

The early Stangs had generators instead of alternators, for example.  As you said, a few made it out of the factory with the 260 instead of the 289.   Also, the original inline six was a 170 cid but changed to the 200 after six months.  There are other small differences that you might call running changes as they worked out the bugs or streamlined production.

guidematic

Yes, they were all tagged as '65 models. But the guys into them differentiate the early and "true" '65's from the early models in this fashion. It's unofficially become official.

Mike

Otto Skorzeny

I know they all say that but the problem is that there is no "line of demarcation" separating them.  One car might have some features of a "true '65" and some features of the so-called '64 1/2.

There's no serial number cutting off the former from the latter so they're all '65s just like the title says.  Even the adherents to the '64 1/2 myth can't agree where the line is drawn. 

guidematic

No argument from me. I just made the statement.

Mike

Russ

eh, if and when I ever hit the lottery, I'd get one for the wife.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

guidematic

Keep one around just to satisfy the teenager's testosterone levels.

Mike