News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Nice Price

Previous topic - Next topic

Fins

Quote from: Keeper on April 19, 2015, 04:51:29 PM
It usually happens in the driveway when you first start it.You Will Not Need Towing.It just will not start one day and that is when you will know.Been there....And on the 425 at 10 or 11.5 to one Yes valves are in the way.

I really never heard of it happening while driving. Just when you go to start it, it spins freely. It's like starting the engine with no plugs in the holes.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: Fins on April 19, 2015, 04:51:39 PM
When did they start to use that crap? Yours is a 66, right?

Yes, '66.  I guess that was the first use of the "silent" gears.  As if they're noisy in other cars.  The Toro came with factory duals and throaty resonators for crying out loud.  Do you think anyone would notice the timing gear noise? 

Another example of GM looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Denrep

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on April 19, 2015, 05:05:14 PM

The only noise "problem" was that someone figured out that the cost of foundry work and machining cast sprockets  made more noise leaving GM's bank account, compared to building a die-cast sprocket and plastic molding  teeth over it.

:Muttley:

...When I started to gain on that Cadillac!

Keeper

That is like the original 66/7 cv convoluted boots with O rings in each slot.Kept the boot from crumbling every turn.
They saved almost 1 dollar per car old/cad...Taking them off in 69 going to that blob boot!

Fins

Quote from: Denrep on April 19, 2015, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on April 19, 2015, 05:05:14 PM

The only noise "problem" was that someone figured out that the cost of foundry work and machining cast sprockets  made more noise leaving GM's bank account, compared to building a die-cast sprocket and plastic molding  teeth over it.

:Muttley:

But now you have the cost of re-tooling to cast the inferior parts. Certainly cheaper to just keep producing what already worked. It just doesn't make any sense.

Plus, I don't think that I've ever heard a chain and gear set up making noise in ANY vehicle.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Jon

Manufacturing is all about supplier competition. It might be more money for Supplier B to tool up a new part, but if he drops the piece price to be cheaper than what Supplier A is currently charging, the OEM then has to weigh the odds and decide how much risk comes with the new part.