News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

WTB 1960 Eldorado Biarritz

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pope

Looking. Want something that is already sorted out and ready to drive! Doesn't need anything more than occasional maintenance.
Pope Bill :pope:

20 tons of Blessed Mid-Century chrome, steel and leather.

The Pope

I like this one. Would like to see it in person. Love the 50s-early 60s pastels. Rare color and pictured in the 1960 brochure
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/cadillac/eldorado_biarritz/1729376.html

Otto Skorzeny

That's beautiful.  They're asking about what I paid for my new house!

Why does the seller not say anything about this specific car?  All he did was plagiarize some description of a 1960 Cadillac out of book.

Geoff

Beautiful indeed, were I interested I would be on a flight to Indianapolis with a rental car waiting at the airport and be off to see that one!

:pool:
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

The Pope

We had a long talk on the phone about the car. Condition is good. Curious about why it never had air. Good condition. Guy is meticulous. Engine, tranny rebuilt. New top. 7 year old Coker tires. Trim and hubcaps excellent. Jenkins white leather buckets, new carpets, All options work. Including Wonderbar radio. Hoping price is negotiable.

Never saw one this color before and another one has appeared. A survivor with 22k miles. I checked on this one and he paid (Holy Shit) $120k at Barret-Jackson. I'd say he overpaid!! Was recently on another auction site and topped out at $75k, reserve not met.
crossing the block at Mecum next week
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0515-213601/0/1960-Cadillac-Eldorado-Biarritz-Convertible/Automatic/

Otto Skorzeny

I'm suspicious of the 22K original mile claim on the second one.  Has it been repainted?  If it's truly an unmolested example, I take it as a plus over the restored example - all other things being equal. A price of $25k less is also appealing.

I prefer the white interior of the restored car, however.

The Pope

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on May 07, 2015, 09:44:53 PM
I'm suspicious of the 22K original mile claim on the second one.  Has it been repainted?  If it's truly an unmolested example, I take it as a plus over the restored example - all other things being equal. A price of $25k less is also appealing.

I prefer the white interior of the restored car, however.

The "22k car" I am also suspicious, did not make reserve with a $75k bid. While I find a survivor interesting. would rather have a car that has been driven a little more, and more rebuilt and I like the white interior better, also.

Just to make it fun, how about a 'relentless red' 1960 Biarritz, Just on appearance alone, which one do you like? This one has a recent repaint, trim not removed, Has new bags on the air ride, ac (not working) and cruise control. Air ride pumps up with a tire valve, not the original placement.

Otto Skorzeny

Personally, I hate bright red on most cars.  No offense since I know you have two.  The correct Mandan red looks better on a Cadillac.

I vote green solely on the color.

Bright red looks good on Model A roadsters and Model A pickups.

The Pope

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on May 07, 2015, 10:09:48 PM
Personally, I hate bright red on most cars.  No offense since I know you have two.  The correct Mandan red looks better on a Cadillac.

I vote green solely on the color.

Bright red looks good on Model A roadsters and Model A pickups.

No problem, Otto. I don't have a green car. I like the dark metallic green, but the Carrera has a cool charm. Never seen this color on a real car, so can't decide from pictures. Guess I should go see it!

Couple of more pics. The green car has a cool serene look. One person described the red car as Sophie Tucker and the green one as Grace Kelly. Besides as Otto said, I already have a red one. Somehow the red interior on the red car is too much. My wife, Anne, calls it "Relentless Red" I think she has a point.

Geoff

:yeah baby:  I'd take the green one, hands down --- and I have 2 red cars also.  Let me know if I can drive the Eldo home for you!   ;D

:pool:

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to be able to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

1935 Cadillac - Big Red
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Jaguar MK V Saloon - Sold
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
Auburn Boat-tail Speedster - Glenn Pray, 2nd Generation

Fins

Not to be mean and I'm sure I'll be lambasted for this, but of course it didn't meet reserve. It's a $50k car at the top end in #1 condition, no more. And I'm not saying this because I had one, but a 60 will NEVER be worth what a lesser 59 will bring.

Bill, put your money into what you already have and make them pristine. Just my humble opinion, that's all.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

The Pope

Quote from: Fins on May 07, 2015, 11:22:53 PM
Not to be mean and I'm sure I'll be lambasted for this, but of course it didn't meet reserve. It's a $50k car at the top end in #1 condition, no more. And I'm not saying this because I had one, but a 60 will NEVER be worth what a lesser 59 will bring.

Bill, put your money into what you already have and make them pristine. Just my humble opinion, that's all.

Fins, I would love to see a '59 or a '60 Biarritz sorted out #2 car for less than $75k. Please show me one for $50k! Not lambasting, just haven't seen one.

I have someone, I think, who will work on my cars and bring them into pristine shape. He is the first person to get several things nicely fixed on my 2001 Eldorado. If he can work on the old cars, I'll be happy. The last guy did more damage than good,

It is less a matter of money than having competent help.

Fins

To answer the edit on the post containing the pictures...
Hell yes, I'd rather have the green car. Simply on color alone. Red cars scream Look at me, Look at me. Sorry Geoff. No intent there.

But yes, I've never seen a Biarritz in that color. Just the usual parade, black, white, pink, persian sand, etc...

Go into ebay. Maybe not the best choice of price trends, but log in and do your searching, but do it under Completed Items. This will give you all of the more recent sales of the specific vehicle you are looking at. A 60 will almost always bring in 30%-50% less than a 59, depending on condition. Did I do a recent search? No. But I was pricing the market when I sold mine and trying to decide what to accept for it.

You will do what you want Bill. I listen to people, some I listen to harder, but in the end, I still do what I want. I just may factor in the knowledge that others have given me in making that decision.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Otto Skorzeny

What kind of idiot paints an engine in a supposed $100K car Ford blue?  That's just plain stupid.  Did you call him on it?

Otto Skorzeny

That's why I prefer an unmolested original to a so-called restored car.  Engines allegedly rebuilt are often slapped together by dopes who may have a vague idea how to rebuild a 350 Chevy but are unaware of the 365's quirks.