News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

1959 thru 1961 Cadillac Oil pump

Previous topic - Next topic

washburn

Folks,

I've turned to the dark side and will replace the vacuum wiper motor on my 1956 with electric wipers. Now I want to remove the vacuum pump off the oil pump but need a new bottom plate for the oil pump. The original plate is on the vacuum pump and will not work if the vacuum pump is removed.

Need the later plate or pump.

Thanks for checking.

The Johnny

Otto Skorzeny

Hey Washburn.  I stopped using those crappy wipers 14 years ago and never bothered with an electric wiper motor.  I use RainX on the windshield and it works better than wipers.  I like it so much I use it on all my vehicles - including the ones with working wipers.

I just put a plug on the vacuum line.

washburn

Not this fat boy.

Used RainX but it s basically a wax. So it snows then you clean front and rear windshields streaks galore.

Not a good solution in Colorado.

Blocking the port is also a bad idea the vacuum pump can still get a leak and suck the oil from the pump thus reducing the oil to the bearings. That is my opinion and I think that is why I am rebuilding this engine for the third time.

But what the hell do I know.

The Johnny

Otto Skorzeny

On my "new" engine, I blocked it off at the oil pump.

JAG56Cad

Johnny,

One alternative if you want to keep the OEM is to remove the hex shaft from the oil pump that drives the vacuum pump and place it back without the shaft. 

Just a cheap solution..!  ;)

Tailfin Joe

Go figure I had a 56 Packard with vaccum wipers I know same for the 56 Cadillac for the Packard you could rid of the vaccum wipers and use a 57 CHEVY wiper motor and think about it the low price cars have electric wipers and the luxury cars have the less efficient vaccum style can you retro fit the Cadillac ? my dear friend who passed way had a street rod who needs wipers he would say keep it at 70 and use rain x no problem
1970 Coupe Devile

Otto Skorzeny

I prefer RainX to wipers on all my cars.  Chevy will not fit 56 Cad.  There is an aftermarket electric that will fit but I don't worry about now.