News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Nice

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

Why would anybody pay $125 for $20-$40 part that you can get anywhere?

Fins

Because there is an ass for every seat.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Keeper

made in USA, clutches now are foreign and when they let go of the fan it rips right into the radiator.The other thing is they take out the water pump as they are not round.went through a bunch before I got one like this for a 1974 Pontiac super duty TA.Been almost 50000 miles,2 water pumps 3 radiators.Stock one,stock replacement and now the $99 plastic and aluminum one. One needs to spend at least $125 or more for their fan clutch.Am I really wrong?

Otto Skorzeny

Why not just a fixed blade fan that works all the time?

Keeper

Factory fixed,Factory clutch.Flex is what is scary.How many times can metal bend back and forth before it breaks!

Otto Skorzeny

Basically a lot.

If the metal is designed to bend and retain memory, it doesn't wear out too easily. 

Jon

If it stays in the elastic strain range and below the endurance stress limit, it can go a very long time.

Keeper

Yikes,Never thought of that with the tortion bars and pork chops.On the 40 year old coach as well.Little heavier than the later model flex fan, but same thing.Piece of my door spring just broke off the other day,scared the Sh*t out of me.BAM,Then ting a ling a ling.Piece on the ground.Kinda the same style spring on my trunk lid,but it has 3 positions of tension,opening and closing for 50 years,It is most likely next.Just saying originally,never cheap out on a timing chain or a fan clutch,Go for the best you can get!

Jon

Yeah, I'm a big fan of buying quality parts and only doing the job once.

guidematic

Remember when Ford flex fans were failing? And managed to launch a blade through an unsuspecting mechanic's chest?

Mike

Russ

Isnt it the rivets that get loose, and fatigue the metal around the hole.
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

guidematic

Ueah, something to that effect.

Mike