News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

My Fave Ford

Previous topic - Next topic

guidematic

No doubt one of the big dogs in the muscle car world. Even I like that car.

Mike

Russ

Gotta love the auctions and how they inflate the prices of the cars. Sorry guy, but I'm not gonna put your kid through law school.    :fu:
63 4 window sedan, series 62

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Keeper

Pyro,You are Right On,But the GT-E cost almost as much as a Cad when it was new and
always commanded top dollar ever since.I would take it over a vette or most any of the
6 figure cars you see on those auctions.

Russ

Correct on your point Keeper. Its a double edged sword. Although the auctions do highlight the few and far in between rare auto's, it also overinflates the common cars.  Try and buy a cougar that is the same year, just after the press release of the rare vehicle sale.

:twocents:

Carfreak

Speaking of Cougar's, just was reading this at another forum:

My first car was a 1968 Cougar. I loved that car! However, it was the most undependable car I ever owned. Constant break-downs. This was the kind of car that when driving and hitting a bump, you had to look out your rear-view mirror to see what parts fell off the car. It seems that every time it rained quite a bit and there was water standing, when I would drive through it, the muffler would fall off. I would tighten that thing down, and the garage I took it to would tighten it down, and yet, it would still fall off. I remember many times having to crawl under the car in standing water to re-attach it! It would actuall seperate at the front of the mufflet, and if I didn't stop, it would tear the entire exaust system off. This car would also eat power-steering hoses as well. It was a real pain to install, and EVERY garage that installed one (many different mechanics) complained about how much of a pain it was.

I wish I still had that car today. OH, did I mention that the car also ate engines? I always changed the oil, never hot-rodded, but it still ate 3 engines. Also 2 transmissions.

I wish I still had that car today.     :screwy: 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

guidematic

Funny how folk say that.

The worst car I ever owned was a '71 Spoprt Fury. It was always breaking and costing me money. However, I think I was to blame for at lest some of it. I was 18 when I bought it, and knowing what I know today, I could have easily kept on top of everything and the car would have been a better car. Save for maybe that aweful 360. It just swilled gas and made little power. I swear a 383, or even a 440 would have been better on gas.

The reason why I would still like to have it was its' rarity. It was a formal coupe, of which only about 3,000 were made, and it had buckets and console as well.

Mike

DownUnderDeville

Most unreliable car I had was my 1974 Citroen GS. Many bad memories. I too wish I still had that car today.

So I could set fire to it. :Muttley:

guidematic

One of these? Bring back memories? I had to look it up. I wasn't sure just what a GS was.

Mike

guidematic

This is pretty much what my Sport Fury looked like. It was a pretty car.

Mike

Russ

I'll easily take a low mileage cougar, but most are high mileage, need bodywork, and are loaded down with excess baggage.  Wait, are we still talking about cars?

Fins

Ya gotta admit though, the big Mopars were pretty cars.

And when you were a broke teen the big bench seats, the hoods and the trunk lids were great for the little slut you found for a quicky.   :yikes:
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Quote from: pyro on February 27, 2011, 08:10:28 PM
I'll easily take a low mileage cougar, but most are high mileage, need bodywork, and are loaded down with excess baggage.  Wait, are we still talking about cars?

Those Cougars didn't last long in these parts. They rusted away very quickly.

Mike

guidematic

Quote from: Big Fins on February 27, 2011, 08:30:02 PM
Ya gotta admit though, the big Mopars were pretty cars.

And when you were a broke teen the big bench seats, the hoods and the trunk lids were great for the little slut you found for a quicky.   :yikes:

That car was a beauty. I loved the hidden headlamps, but could never get the motor to work properly. The interior was cavernous, as was the trunk. I could put a case of beer between the grill and the rad.

And there were some shenanigans that went on..... :hi:

Mike

DownUnderDeville

Quote from: guidematic on February 27, 2011, 07:04:08 PM
One of these? Bring back memories? I had to look it up. I wasn't sure just what a GS was.

Mike

Argh! Yes that's the one. All 1.2 litres, air-cooled, flat-four of it.

It would chew through 4 1/2 litres of oil a week. And no exhaust manifold gaskets to speak of. And the rust. And the oddball 145R15 tyres that cost a fortune.

Bought for $800, sold a year later for $150 with $1700 of garage bills. Not good when you're a school-leaver making $4/hour.