News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Just Like Frank's

Previous topic - Next topic

Fins

Frank? Frank who?  :scratchhead: That's my middle name, but you sure ain't talkin' about me.
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Keeper

Frank,Dean and Sammy all had one.Jack Cassidy,Dick Martin,William Morris and
even Phylis Diller had one.Frank kept his at The Sands up into the 80's when he
went back to Lincoln.He always advertised and drove T-Birds for Ford until he
Got the Black/Red killer!!!

trvlr480

WOW! That's nice!  Can you even drive one of those older Caddy's with the high compression on the premium they sell these days?

guidematic

I do mine.....I run it on Sunoco Ultra 94.

Mike

Fins

Quote from: trvlr480 on July 27, 2012, 07:40:29 AM
WOW! That's nice!  Can you even drive one of those older Caddy's with the high compression on the premium they sell these days?

They were only 10-1. What's the big deal?
Fins
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist Poly with White interior and top
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top (Sold)
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

guidematic

Up to '69 they were 10.5:1 Those funny pistons in the '70 brought it down to 10.0:1.

BTW, the LT1 in the '94 runs 10.3:1, it requires 91 octane.

Mike

Keeper

Those GTO motors can be 13-15to1 but it takes computor control for timing retard and spark control!
I will stick with whats proven!GT0 only was made for what a year,computers are cool but not for valid
transportation!

guidematic

GTO? As in current race engines? Yes I have heard that some race engine run near diesel CR's. NASCAR at least was running 14:1 and higher back in the 90's, but no computor control, just MSD boxes.

However they have access to race fuel with crazy octane numbers. As high as 112.

Mike

Fins

How did a GTO come into this?  :scratchhead:
Fins
Founder of The Misfits
CLC# 22631

EXCRUISERGUY

Quote from: guidematic on July 27, 2012, 01:39:55 PM

BTW, the LT1 in the '94 runs 10.3:1, it requires 91 octane.

I run 87 octane in mine. It made no difference when I switched from 91.
The reverse cooling allows it to run on regular.

GJ

guidematic

It requires 91 for optimum performance. I have run 89 at times. But when any detonation is detected, timing is dialed back. That affects both performance and fuel economy.

No Pontiac GTO, or any Pontiac engine for that matter, ran anything close to those stratoshperic CR numbers. I think the highest I can recall may be in the 11.5:1 range for some of the high zoot Super Duty and Ram Air engines.

Mike

EXCRUISERGUY

I didn't notice any difference at all. It will still smoke the tires all the way down the street and get the same fuel economy. I couldn't justify paying an extra 10 cents a Liter.

GJ

guidematic

Temperature has a lot to do with it. Run the AC on a hot day, and I'm sure you'll see some differance.

I know I can get away with 89 most times as well, and have been guilty of using it a fair bit in the last little while, but I have never used 87.

87 works very well in the '90 Brougham and '88 Eldo, though.

On a cool day with no AC, 91 works fine in the '70 Fleetwood as well. I bet if I gave the engine a good top end clean I could get away with it more often.

Mike