News:

New forum software.

Check your settings.

Several themes available under "Look and Layout"

Any Misfits near Savannah Gorgia with some spare time?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Yeah,  it's getting oiled as soon as possible.  I'll take a coupon if you've got one.

Otto Skorzeny

Yes, it's pretty nice.  It mainly just needs a thorough cleaning and detailing.  The guy lives on a gravel road so the tires are filthy and the underside has a layer of dirt and sand stuck to it.  There are leaves and debris stuck in the cowl vents and door hinge areas.

I hate that.  I can't stand driving a dirty vehicle - even my truck to a job site. 

Anyway, I think I'm as excited as Jon because I can see the potential this car has.  A weekend of TLC will bring it up several notches. Degrease and clean the engine bay, peel the rest of the black strips off the chrome or replace them with the chrome from the guy up the road here, get a Cooper whitewall to replace that one with the white letters and this car is going to be good enough to show!

I feel sorry for it having to move to the rust belt after living its its 22 years in the salt free South.  Hopefully that Krown oil will do the trick to keep it rust free.

Jon

Krown can do some amazing things.  I regret not getting my truck treated since at this point it is still as strong as ever mechanically but absolutely toast bodywise. I'll never be able to sell it for anything because there's not a panel on the truck that doesn't need to be replaced.

Otto Skorzeny

On the Buick, I'd clean the underside and buy a couple bottles of that rust converter sold at NAPA or Home Depot and brush it on all the parts with surface rust before having it treated with oil.  That stuff works really well.  After it's dry you could spray it with Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

I did the entire underside of the  Bismarck that way 6 or 7 years ago.

guidematic

Post some pics of the truck, Jon. That will shock and awe the southern folk. Those Dakotas are among the worst rusters I have seen in a very long time.

Mike

guidematic

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 17, 2014, 03:29:54 PM
On the Buick, I'd clean the underside and buy a couple bottles of that rust converter sold at NAPA or Home Depot and brush it on all the parts with surface rust before having it treated with oil.  That stuff works really well.  After it's dry you could spray it with Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

I did the entire underside of the  Bismarck that way 6 or 7 years ago.

A small amount of dirt and some surface rust will give the Krown something to bite to. The oil effectively stops any rust since it prevents O2 and moisture from getting to it.

Mike

Otto Skorzeny

Jon

I didn't want to go through the trouble of brushing the snow off or crawling under neath it.  So this is just the stuff at the lower molding level.  There's plenty more on the hood and roof and underneath.

Otto Skorzeny

Wow! That's awful.  Might as well just drive it until it can't be driven anymore.

I had an '88 that I sold with 231,000 miles on it and it looked like new.  It didn't even have as much surface rust as the Buick.

Jon

Around here there are lots of laws about what kind of condition your bumpers and fenders are in, to be honest I can't believe I haven't been pulled over yet and given a warning. Since replacement bumpers can't be found in the wreckers and it's not worth it to put any more money into the truck I'm getting the Buick as the replacement. I'll keep the truck going as long as I can since I need it to move the engines and stuff I have when we sell our house.  But it will be kept off the road with no insurance on it until I need to use it.  Once we move, I'll probably ditch it.  It's got an oil leak (you guessed it, rusted through oil pan) that I can't stop without jacking the engine up, which apparently requires pulling the intake manifold. I think that if I start trying to move things to get the oil pan off, more things will crumble.  It's got close to 200k miles on it.

Otto Skorzeny

Clean the rusted oil pan and slap some JB Weld on the hole.

guidematic

Best to leave well enough alone. Once you start picking at the crusty and flakey rust, there could be a hole the size of a quarter or bigger.

Mike

Jon

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 17, 2014, 04:24:53 PM
Clean the rusted oil pan and slap some JB Weld on the hole.

Unfortunately it's not a identifiable hole.  The whole pan has become porous (apparently it's pretty common for these trucks) and the oil is seeping out all over the place.

Otto Skorzeny

Spray the whole thing with Rustoleum Leak Seal.  $10 at Home Depot.

It's sort of like that stuff that guy on uses on his boat with a screen door bottom.